John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Canon mp460 printer ink cartridges not recognized

Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What exact error message do you get?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Canon MP460 Printer – USB001

The following ink cartridge cannot be recognized

Black

Color

Printing cannot be executed because the ink cartridge may not be installed properly or may not be compatible with this printer.

Install the appropriate ink cartridge.

If you want to cancel printing, click Cancel Printing.

AND ANOTHER ONE POPS UP:

Printer is online.

Some ink cartridges cannot be recognized.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thank you!

1- Do you get the error message on the printer or the computer?

2- What ink cartridge numbers are you using?

3- Are they generic/remanufactured or genuine cartridges?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Error messages are on the computer. The printer "window" doesn't change.
I'm using a Canon 40 Black cartridge, manufactured by Canon. It also says on the box PIXMA and PG-40
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Ok, that's good!

Last question:
What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have Vista

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Ok, please follow the steps below to uninstall the printer software completely and then re-install it:

1- Unplug your printer from the computer

2- Uninstall the Canon printer software going to Start, Control Panel, Uninstall a Program

3- Download "windows install cleanup" tool. Go to
http://wikisend.com/download/485544 and click on "Download file" to download and install this tool

4- Remove any Canon printer application using this tool. (if you find any)

5- Restart the computer BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you).

6- Download the newest driver here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_series/pixma_mp460#DriversAndSoftware

Click "Drivers & Software", then click the red triangle next to "Select OS" and select "Windows Vista"

Then click the first "mp460win111ea23.exe" link. Select "I Agree" and save the file to your desktop.

Then double click the file to start the installation.

7- After the new driver is installed please restart your computer (BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)
)

8- Turn on your printer and plug in the USB cable to another available USB port in your computer and try to print

9- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
DANG IT! I'm getting this same error message AGAIN!

Canon MP460 Printer – USB001

Black

Color

Install the appropriate ink cartridge.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Ok

Please follow the steps below:

1- Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine

2- Check there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself

*** Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there

7- If it is it means the print head has failed

8- In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced

The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page
Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself

Thank you

John Cappucci

John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.