Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent, Engineer
Experience:  City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.
29964247

I have just bought a Samsung Laser MFP SCX-482X and I am trying

I have just bought a Samsung Laser MFP SCX-482X and I am trying to configure my laptop IP address (88.104.3.84) on the printer menu screen as instructed by the manual. However the default IP address has 3x3x3x3 digits and I can't get rid of the extra digits. I want to be able to use the printer wirelessly and to network my desktop as well. Please advise as to where I go from here.

Abbi
Category: Printers
Expert:  Colin Vincent replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Colin Vincent :

Hi abbi. You just need to use 0's to achieve the 3 digits. For example 1 would be 001 or 82 would be 082 etc. Hope that helps

Customer :

ok - I tried that but my IP address is 88.104.3.84 so where do the 0's go is it: 088.104.003.084 or 880.104.300.840 or some other combination?

Colin Vincent :

the first option of the 2 is correct. 088. etc

Customer :

That seems to have worked but now it is asking for a 'subnet mask' so do I type in the smae numbers for that and then, if so, the same numbers for the gateway address?

Colin Vincent :

The subnet mask will almost certainly be 255.255.255.000

Colin Vincent :

That is the default ip mask fro most networks

Colin Vincent :

The gateway is the address of your router if you have one

Customer :

OK it seems to have accepted the default subnet mask and I typed in 088.104.003.084 for the gateway address and it came up with the message saved. BUT - I now see that the gateway is the address of my router. I do have a wireless router so where do I find the number for that please?

Colin Vincent :

If you go to a command prompt in windows (under accessories for most versions of windows). and run it. in the text window that opens type ipconfig and press enter. It should list the ip settings for your network with the ip address of your pc, the mask and gateway. if your printer setup has the option you can use DHCP which means it auto configures the ip address info for you .

Customer :

I did that - it looks like the default gateway is 192.168.2.3 so do I type in 192.168.002.003?

Customer :

Sorry I pressed return and the reply was sent before I had finished. The default gateway is 192.168.2.1 (not.3). I also notice that the 'IPv4' address is 192.168.2.3 HELP have I typed in the wrong IP address? I got that IP address from googling my IP address.

Colin Vincent :

Ahh ok. Your google address is what's called an external address which you use to connect to the internet. You need your local address to connect to devices on the network. The numbers are binary so the 3 digits are single, tens and hundreds. 1 = 001 and ten is 010 and 100 = 100 etc

Customer :

This is the information I got when I went to the command prompt:

Customer :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection – specific DNS suffix: Belkin

Link – local IPv6 address: fe80::5d3:1601:452f%11

IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.3

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1 Please tell me what I put where ie IP, subnet and gateway

Colin Vincent :

192.168.002.003 is your computer ip address. 255.255.255.000 is the mask and 192.168.002.001 is the gateway

Customer :

Thanks - I understand now. I have typed in those numbers. I am now going to load the software CD and will let you know if everything works OK.

Colin Vincent :

ok well done. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Customer :

No. It hasn't worked..I got as far as 'select printer' but there wasn't one to select. I did a search and I also typed in the IP address 192.168.002.003 but it still didn't find the printer. I went to the control panel and tried to install the printer from there but again it couldn't find the printer. The message I got on the control panel was:

Customer :

Add printer

Additional port information required

The device is not found on the network. Be sure that:

1. The device is turned on (it is)

2. The network is connected (I don’t know how I can test that)

3. The device is properly configured (I thought that was what I had just done with your help)

4. The address on the previous page is correct (I typed in the IP address)

Colin Vincent :

try chaning the last digit of the ip address on the printer itself to something other than 3. Eg 192.168 .002. 005

Colin Vincent :

The mask and gateway can stay the same

Customer :

I changed the number but I got the same message. I have got the printer plugged into my laptop via the funny little telephone thingy. Is that what I'm supposed to have done - I just followed the diagrams but I am wondering whether it's not supposed to be plugged into my laptop - is it supposed to be plugged into the telephone line?

Colin Vincent :

No. the printer should connect to the router. The router is the distribution point for your network. Then you can ether connect to the router from your laptop bu wireless or cable

Customer :

Hi - I plugged the printer into one of the 4 telephone type slots in the wireless router. It is now not plugged into my computer. I re-ran the setup and

Got the following screen:

Select printer port

TCP/IP port was ticked at first but no printer showed up so I then ticked the

‘Add TCP/IP port’ box and entered the IP address the port name underneath the IP address just came up with the same IP address as I typed in. I then pressed next and the message said it couldn’t find the printer. I am going to close everything down now and try again in the morning. You have been very helpful but I've decided I hate computers. How do I restart this conversation in the morning?

Colin Vincent :

you can just reply to this question and it will notify me. It will be listed under "my questions" in the menu. If you want to check if your pc can see the printer on the network then in the command prompt where you did ipconfig earlier type ping and then the ip address of the printer. eg. ping 192.168.2.5 and press enter. If it gets a reply then it can see the printer.

Customer :

I typed ping 192.168.2.3 (I changed the last digit back to from 5 to 3) I got the reply packets sent = 4 received = 4 lost = 0 (0% loss) etc. But it didn’t find the printer

Customer :

I have decided to attach the printer to my computer, rather than end up tearing my heart out trying to connect it wirelessly. I must say this is a very antiquated method of connecting a printer wirelessly - I have a Lexmark X6575 which I just put the software disk in and it sorted it for me like magic.

Customer :

I am now having trouble printing because my Samsung is set to 'print to file' I have tried to change it but I don't know what 'port' I need. Perhaps we should all take City & Guilds exams for printers before we buy one.

Colin Vincent :

Yes it is a bit of an old fashioned way of setting up a network printer. The 4 packets received meant the printer responded so it had been talking on the network but just not found by windows. Make sure the Samsung is set as your default printer as windows will print to a file if no defauilt printer is set. Right click on the samsung printer icon and select " set as default"

Customer :

I tried that but it didn't work. It was set to print to file so I tried a few other ports but it still didn't print. How to I know which port is the correct one? There are quite a lot! I have arranged to pay someone to come and sort it out. Thanks for trying but it could be any little thing that is not quite right so I am giving up.

Colin Vincent :

If you use the driver install cd it will detect the correct port for you. You shouldn't have to manually specify a port as it will detect the printer connection and set itself accordingly

Customer :

I did use the driver - disk labelled Printer Software.  I decided to hook the printer up to my laptop, and install the software but it still wouldn't print.

Colin Vincent, Engineer
Experience: City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.