Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I have a wireless Canon MP560 It was working fine this morning

I have a wireless Canon MP560
It was working fine this morning but I have just changed my internet provider from Orange to BT
Although I have put in the new wireless key the printer now will not print and although my computer shows the exisitence of the MP560 it dores not seem to communicate with it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

You may need to remove the printer and re-add it. Sometimes when switching providers it doesn't update with your new network correctly. This is usually a easy process. What operating system are you using? (Windows XP, Mac OS)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have done that. I unplugged the printer and reinstalled the software in my computer.

The computer acknowledges the printer is there, the printer acknowledges the BT hub. But when I try to print the message comes up that the printer is not responding.

My operating system is Vista.

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
I'm very sorry for the late reply, lets try this:

To get to Printers and Faxes:

1. On your keyboard, press and hold down the Windows Logo Key, then press R
2. Type control printers
3. Press OK

On that screen you should see your Canon MP560 printer. Right click it and select troubleshoot. Windows Vista will automatically go through and try to repair the printer. If this doesn't work, I want you to right click and select remove device. Then restart your computer. Again sorry to make you reinstall the printer and software but sometimes resetting up the printer in the Vista Printers and Faxes area of the computer will get your printer up and running. Try this and tell me what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks.

I get as far as right clicking the printer but there is no option 'troubleshoot' that I can see

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
What you'll want to do first is install the FixIt utility provided by Microsoft onto your computer. This is a very handy tool that will automatically run diagnostics and attempt to repair your printer connection to your network. Go to the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/printing_problems?entrypoint=WHHT

Then click the green Run Now button. Save the file. It will be where you usual downloads are. Then run the program and install FixIt. After it is done installing choose the first option, then it will go about troubleshooting your printer. Follow the steps it provides. Update me on what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ran the diagnostic and it found nothing wrong. I also restarted but the problem is still there.

The point is that the printer found the BT Hub after I inserted the wireless key and the PC knows the printer is there.

But the problem is that when I ask it to print it comes up with the message "printer not responding"

I spoke to BT who did make some adjustments to the security protocol for the access point in line with the Canon handbook. But it hasn't worked and BT say it must be a settings problem with the Canon printer itself which the manufacturer needs to solve.

Note - the printer worked fine with my Orange access point - it just doesn't work now with the BT Hub even though I have reinstalled the printer software etc.

What do I do next?

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Very sorry to hear that it is still not working. If I can just verify one more thing, I know you reinstalled the printer software, but did you remove the printer completely from the printers and faxes center in Vista (right click and remove) and then restart windows to have it detect and install the printer again (through the add hardware notification)? Please do that if you haven't.

Also, I want you to try Windows Update. To get to Windows Update Launches:

2. Type wuapp
3. Press OK
Follow the prompts to update your computer. Make sure you install all recommended updates.

Next, I want you to update the driver for your Canon printer after you've tried the above. To download the latest driver, go to:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mp560#DriversAndSoftware

Choose your OS (Probably just Vista, not 64 bit, but you can also double check:

2. Type winver
3. Press OK

Here it will tell you what version of Vista you are running, again I don't think it's 64 bit, but double check so you download the right driver. Once you pick your operating system, then you'll see another page and under the category drivers pick the mp560swin105ea24.exe file. On the next page, agree to the Terms and download and run the driver update.

If none of this works, I will start looking in your audit logs to see why windows giving a not responding error. Thank you again for your patience.

Edited by Bernie S. on 9/21/2010 at 1:11 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK. Maybe we are on to something?

I removed the printer as requested (though did not uninstall the associated programmes) then restarted Windows and looked for the printer on the add printer option for a wireless printer - which I had left turned on. It searched but did not find it.

I'm aware that this Canon printer links via the access point which in this case is the BT HomeHub. Would we therefore expect the PC to find the printer using this method?

I have not carried out any of the further checks until I hear back from you.

Thanks

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
You're absolutely right, somehow I got my "add hardware" mixed up with your network printer. It would only find it through the add hardware wizard if it was locally/directly connected to your printer. I apologize. You do want the PC to find the printer and the way to do that would be to reinstall the software that came with the printer, as it should configure this for you. Usually removing the printer from the Printers and Faxes center, then reinstalling it through the software gets windows to recognize your printer with your new internet service. Please uninstall the software, then reinstall it and setup your printer again. We removed the old entry and now should be able to add a new one that will sync with your network. Thanks for your patience again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. It did not work though.

I had done it before and it didn't work then but I did it again in accordnace with your suggestion.

The printer recognised the hub and I successfully linked the printer to it using the wireless key.

I uninstalled the Canon printer software then reinstalled it. This all went OK - the installation programme even did a successful performance measurement of the wireless contact and identified the right printer. But when I ask it to print it still comes up with the message 'printer not responding'.

Where do we go from here?

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Lets try the following:

Run Windows Update (There may be something in Windows that needs to be updated that is preventing your printer from working with the BT network):

1. Go to Start

2. Type windows update in the start menu search bar

3. Select windows update from the results

4. A browser window should pop up, just follow the prompts to update your windows. It will search for updates and then you'll have the option to install them. If it wants you to download Microsoft Update first, do that as well (Microsoft Update is an updated version of Windows Update that updates MS applications as well as windows).

5. It will prompt to restart once installation is finished if it did install any updates at all.

Next, download the latest drivers for your Canon MP560 printer:

1. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mp560#DriversAndSoftware

2. Select your operating system (Most likely Vista, unless your are running a x64 version. If you're not sure, press the windows key on your keyboard + r. In the run menu box, type winver and press OK. Look for the x64 anywhere in that window, if you see it, you're running a 64bit version of Vista, pick the Vista X64 driver version. If not, just select the regular Vista from the OS drop box on the driver download page).

3. Download the first file entitled mp560swin105ea24.exe that shows up under drivers. Save the file and open it to follow installation of your printer driver. You may need to also download drivers for Easy Photo Print, Easy Web Print, or MP Navigator EX if you use any of these software provided by Canon with your Canon printer. They are the first 3 files under the category software. (Only download and install them if you use the previously mentioned programs).

4. If prompted, restart after the installation of the driver, if not, restart manually.

Now try to print again.

If none of this works, I will need to see what might be going on in your device manager, and I will need your event logs (which I'll show you how to get) to contact Canon tech support on your behalf to tell them what we're trying to do.

Edited by Bernie S. on 9/22/2010 at 6:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No good I'm afraid.

I did Windows update - though I had done it a few days ago. I was surprised therefore to see an update for Windows Vista for Canon MP560 series dated 16 July. I downloaded it, restarted, but it made no difference.

I then downloaded all the relevant Canon drivers and as usual the installation process correctly identified the printer.

But when I asked it to print once again it came up "printer not responding".

In a way I'm not surprised because the printer was working fine when my internet provider was Orange. The problem only started when I changed to BT Home Hub 2.0

I hope we can find some solution here because this is a pretty new and expensive printer.

Thanks.

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Can you go to the device manager:

2. Type diskmgmt.msc
3. Press OK

Tell me if you see anything there with a yellow exclamation point or red x.

Also, Windows tracks and analyzes all errors like "printer not responding" in a log called the event viewer.

To get to Event viewer:

2. Type eventvwr.msc
3. Press OK

On the left task pane, double click Custom Views Folder to expand it, then double click Administrative Events. On the right side of the window select the save all events in custom view button. Type events for the name of the file, and save it to your desktop. If another window pops up, select Also Choose the Display Information for These Languages and press OK.

Next go to www.wikisend.com

On the main page, click the upload button, browse for the file, and upload it the events file from the desktop.

It will then show you a download link for the file. If you could just copy and paste that here in the post I'll be able to download it to my computer and take a look at it. Sorry to have you do all this, I appreciate your patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure if my first reply actually sent so I'm doing it again.

On the device manager check I could see no yellow or red warnings.

I uploaded the events file though I could'nt be sure what you meant by copy and paste. However the file seemed to have uploaded OK. If it's not come through properly please could you clarify the final copy and paste instructions since it was unclear what to do at that stage.

Thanks

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,

Thanks for checking your device manager, the fact that there are no red or yellow warnings clears out any driver issues with anything else. The events file you uploaded on www.wikisend.com, once you upload it, it should give you a hyperlink in which to download the file. If you can post that hyperlink in your next reply it will allow me to download your events file. You can right click the hyperlink www.wikisend.com gives you, and select
copy link location, then right click and paste into your next reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK Here is the link

http://wikisend.com/download/575998/Events.evtx

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the download link. I've got the events now in my log and have been reviewing them. I have also been in touch with BT technical service. I realize now that you've been without your printer since the 17th. I was thinking you could possibly do a system restore, just to try and get back to your printer working, but I don't want to interfere with your internet connection. A system restore would literally take your computer back in time before you installed the BT software and router. Anything installed since then would also need to be reinstalled. I would try it if:

a) Nothing of major importance was installed since going to BT
or
b) There were some important installations but you don't mind reinstalling them.

Either way you can always reverse the system restore, so that you get right back to today. To try the system restore, choose a date when your printer was recognized by your network. You may have to reinstall the BT software and set that up again, but it's worth a shot for now. Here's how to do that:

1. Click on the Start button to open your Start Menu.

2. When the Start Menu opens click on the All Programs menu option.

3. Click once on the Accessories Start Menu group.

4. Click once on the System Tools Start Menu group.

5. Click once on the System Restore icon. After you click on the icon, if a User Account
Control window opens you should click on the Continue button.

6. You will now be at the System Restore screen. From this screen you can specify the restore point that you would like to restore.

7. Select Choose a different restore point and press the Next button. This will bring you to a screen that contains a listing of all the available restore points that you can restore to. Choose the nearest date on which your printer was working correctly and press the Next button to start the restore process. Vista will display a Window showing your selected restore point and asking you to confirm that this is the one you would like to restore.

8. If you would like to select a different restore point press the Back button. Otherwise you can press the Cancel button to exit System Restore or the Finish button to begin the restore process. If you selected Finish, Vista will display a second prompt asking you to confirm that you would like to continue the restore.

9. If you are sure you want to do the restore, then press the Yes button. Vista will now log you off of the computer and start the System Restore process.

10. When the restore has been completed, you computer will be restarted and when Vista boots back up it will be restored to its previous state. When you log in to Vista for the first time after the restore, you will see a message showing that the restore was successful.

Note: If there are any problems with your computer due to the last restore, you can revert back to your previous settings by going back into the System Restore Utility and selecting the Undo System Restore option and pressing the Next button.

Edited by Bernie S. on 9/26/2010 at 1:22 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good news! I have done all of that - restored the system and reinstalled BT Home Hub plus some other programmes I had also installed and lo and behold - the printer is now working - for which I'm very grateful. What do you think caused the problem?

BUT - one thing I have a new problem with now however is my McAfee Security Centre. Suddenly the real time scanning function refuses to be turned on and keeps turning itself off. Any ideas?

Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Most likely something went amiss in the registry, which is like the "brain" of the operating system. When a program installs on the computer, it registers its settings into the registry, and sometimes errors are made and it brings the programs to a halt (like the not responding error). The system restore, is basically taking your computer back in time to before the registry changes were made, and a "checkpoint" is automatically made by the computer anytime you install something, just in case.

About your McAfee Security Centre turning itself off, apparently this is a known issue admitted by McAfee that must be fixed through another McAfee utility. Heres how to do that:

1. Download the McAfee troubleshooting tool on this page:
https://community.mcafee.com/thread/19211?start=15&tstart=0

Scroll down to the second post and click the hyperlink in that one to download MSCPRXFIX.exe

2. Run MSCPRXFIX.exe and restart the computer after (it will most likely automatically do this).

3. Once the computer restarts, right-click the M icon in the system tray and select Updates, and update your security centre.

Edited by Bernie S. on 9/26/2010 at 4:03 PM EST
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified