Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Is it possible to retrieve faxes from the memory of Brother

Customer Question

Is it possible to retrieve faxes from the memory of Brother mfc 7820 n
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

You can transfer the faxes from your machine's memory to your computer if one of the following messages is displayed on the LCD:

-Unit is too Hot
-Machine too Hot
-Unable to Init.
-Unable to Print
-Unable to Scan

1. Press Stop/Exit.
  2. Make sure you have installed MFL-Pro Suite on your PC, and then turn on PC Fax Receiving on the PC.
  3. Make sure you have set PC Fax Receive on the MFC. During setup the LCD will ask if you want to transfer the faxes to your PC.
  4. To transfer all faxes to your PC, press 1. To exit and leave the faxes in the memory, press 2.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once I chose fax receive on mfc and scrolled within that category there was no choice to "transfer faxes to pc" nor any action on the lcd. Please advise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You have not replied to the problem I encountered with your response.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
I think you might have meant, how do you print faxes in memory?

Sowrav assumed you meant to transfer faxes in memory to your PC. (If you failed to do so, then either Brother's MFL-Pro Suite is not installed on your PC, or else you need better instructions as to how to set it up properly on both sides, the printer side and the PC side... please tell me which of these is the case (print from memory, or transfer to PC from memory, MFL-Pro on your computer or not) ? )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The pro suite is installed on the computer. I was willing to transfer from memory to pc; however printing from memory would be better. The prompts that were recommended did not appear.
- To print faxes stored in memory on a Brother MFC 7820N:

Press Menu/Set, 2 (Fax), 5 (Remote Fax Opt), 3 (Print Fax).

Press Start.

After print has finished, press Stop/Exit.

- Supposedly that works. If you have difficulty at any stage, stop and get back to me about it. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I followed your recommended protocol and the machine indicated "no document". Since there are documents from the past few weeks stored in the memory which I want to access, that is not accurate.
If you are certain that there are documents in the memory of the fax, please tell me how you know this (the indicator may suggest to me what state your machine is in.)

Also, it is possible (??) that those instructions, though straight-from-the-horse's-mouth (from Brother's website) were inadequate or inaccurate somehow (they looked rather too brief.) At what point in the steps, did the machine indicate 'no document' ?

I will look up other instructions for this process (if there are any variants), and if I find any of significance I will update this, while waiting for your response on those points I just asked about.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No documents indication appeared after your final prompt. How do I know faxes are in memory...well, I am I incorrect in assuming they art there since I received and printed them last week???? The hard copies were taken out of the country and I must retreive what I hope is in the memory.
Sounds like a tough situation to be in, priority-wise.

OK, let's try this.... oops, I had a thought: if you printed them out, they are probably not in memory any more! I am going to look the point up and get back to you, but it is possibly that way.

To see whether your fax truly has lost the capacity to print what's in memory, use this service:
http://www.interpage.net/sub-wwwfax.html
to send a test fax to your Brother MFC's fax #... then see if you can print it, once. Then see if you can print it again... or whether, when you print it, you get any prompt to delete or retain it ? if you get no such prompt, probably deletion from memory on printing is the default, and they just aren't in the fax's memory any more, I am sorry but it seems likely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fax has not arrived as yet; however if I don't get the prompt to save or delete the fax after printing, is there a way to change the default for future faxes?
No, or at any rate there is no hint of any such thing in the manual I went through... some models of Brother printer allow listing faxes in memory, or choosing whether to delete one or all.... but not this model, apparently.
Did you send the test fax to your own Brother printer's fax #?
If so, it will have arrived by 10 minutes after you initiated/approved it.

Edited by Russell H. on 9/18/2010 at 12:42 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still waiting for the trial fax....does it usually take this long?
Try printing it by now - if nothing prints, it has not been received yet (provided, of course, that the error message still indicates "no document". If so, wait a bit, then if still nothing received, try calling your fax's number with a voice phone, and see if it still answers with tones/chirps.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the fax machine answers with tones and chirps....I think there may be a line of faxes ahead of mine at that service.
OK, so wait a bit or overnight, but something will presumably be received that you can try printing, observing whether you can print it twice, or whether it prompts you to retain or delete after printing or at printing...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I used a hp fax test number, received a test fax but couldn't print another copy...guess the default is set to no backup storage.
So, you could print one copy, but not another one? then yes, it was not kept in memory once printed... that is rather standard behavior (otherwise the memory would become full... it is assumed that once you have one printed copy of the fax, then you don't need the memory copy any more. This does not allow for those times when what is printed is a blank sheet owing to printing engine operation problems, of course... but those are rare-ish. And most faxes can be re-sent if necessary, since the sender(s) keep a copy of what they sent, for sure - unless faxed from computer, in which case the copy may not still be there shortly.)

If this helps with the problem - as much as is possible - and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share of payment from the monies already deposited by you with JustAnswer.com.) Thanks.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable