Tim W.
Tim W., Technician
Experience:  3 years as Computer Support Specialist which allows me to work on printers, projectors, networks, et

I have a Canon MP510 printer that had a paper jam. The following

Customer Question

I have a Canon MP510 printer that had a paper jam. The following error message displayedon the screen "Error Paper - output slot - The paper is jammed. Clear the paper and press OK".

I cleared the paper (in a single piece) and pressed OK but the error message will not clear from the screen. I tried what was recommended in the on screen manual which was turn off and on again but the message does not go away.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tim W. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

Customer :

OK

tbwhite2040 :

Have you looked around the back of the printer in the door back there to make sure there is not a piece of paper crumbled up where you can't see it?

Customer :

Yes! And my name is Stuart.

Customer :

I'm fairly certain there is no paper remaining in the printer.

tbwhite2040 :

Ok Stuart. Is this a laser printer or a inkjet printer?

Customer :

Inkjet Canon MP510

tbwhite2040 :

Have you tried cleaning the printhead, and contacts to see if it will clear the message?

Customer :

No! How do I do that?

tbwhite2040 :

Give me one second and let me find it for you.

tbwhite2040 :

Do you have the user's manual for the printer?

Customer :

On screen Yes

tbwhite2040 :

It should tell you how to clean the printhead and contacts.

Customer :

I'm looking at it now. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll give it a go.

tbwhite2040 :

OK but just to rule out one thing let's do something real quick

tbwhite2040 :

Unplug the printer and press and hold the Power button or ON button for 1 minute and release the button. Plug the power back into the printer and turn it on if it doesn't come on by itself. Let the printer initialize and see if the message is still there.

Customer :

I just tried it and was unable to clear the paper jam error message. When I press menu to select maintenance settings nothing happens; The paper jam message remains on the screen.

tbwhite2040 :

I see. Give me one minute

Customer :

Tring the unplug printer suggestion now

tbwhite2040 :

ok

tbwhite2040 :

What operating system are you running on your computer?

Customer :

Windows 2003

Customer :

The holding the on/off button for 1 minute didn't work either

tbwhite2040 :

Click on the link above and download the first option to view the manual on your computer. Then look at it to see if it will show you how to clean the parts.

tbwhite2040 :

just a wild thought

Customer :

Doyou mean parts or head?

tbwhite2040 :

the parts are the printhead, nozzles, carriage, nozzle tubes. It should show you how to clean all of them.

tbwhite2040 :

If cleaning the above parts does not fix it then your printer will need to be repaired or replaced by an authorized service provder.

Customer :

I already have an on screen manual. It seems to be the same as what is provided by the link you gave me.

Customer :

I've checked the manual and once again it requires me to go into the menu which I cannot do!

tbwhite2040 :

Then your printer will need to be serviced or replaced because it has an internal problem within the printer.

Customer :

Just Great! Thanks

tbwhite2040 :

Sorry I didn't mean to bring you bad news

Customer :

That's OK at least now I know, even if it did cost me $19

tbwhite2040 :

One other thing you might be able to do is replace the printhead on the printer to see if it will fix it but I would hate for you to waste your money if it doesn't fix it

Customer :

I'll keep it in moind

tbwhite2040 :

OK Thanks for using JustAnswer and if you need any more assistance please feel free to contact me again.

tbwhite2040 :

Have a nice day

tbwhite2040 :

Please do not forget to accept the answer if you are satisfied with the answer.