Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

My Brother Laser printer HL-4040CN reads waste toner full

My Brother Laser printer HL-4040CN reads 'waste toner full' . Even after I emptied the container. Please help to get my Laser color printer working. Thanks
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Russell H. :

In general terms, if a waste toner message persists even after waste toner has been emptied, it is one of two things:

Russell H. :

1. the bane of laser printers of all kinds in all times and places: loose toner. Possibly over the sensor that tells when the waste toner bottle is full - in which case, it still thinks it's full. Polish everything in there that could be a sensor (with the power off and unplugged of course, for safety), and if the waste bottle's smeary with toner still, rinse it out I guess, allow it to dry, and put it in again after it's dry.

Russell H. :

2. Maybe it needs a reset or acknowlegement button press or sequence. I will now look that up briefly... comment or respond if you want meantime, I will be back soon.

Russell H. :

Brother's website suggests that the last resort if the waste toner error message won't clear, is to get a 'new waste toner' - part # XXXXX

Russell H. :

So it seems from this webpage that it's not enough to have emptied it, you should also replace it:

the complete procedure, step-by-step, of replacing the waste toner 'box' is detailed on that page.

JACUSTOMER-9q09p6fw- :

From where do i get one, do you know?

Russell H. :

Brother's website or your local super store. The part # XXXXX XXXXX Brother part. I will refer you a web page at Brother's site in a moment... but first this:

Brother advises if the error message persists, you might want to:
"Check and clean the two metal contacts on the back of the waste toner box."

Russell H. :

As for the part, to buy it:

it's the second of the two choices on that page. Price: $26.49

Russell H. :

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer.
(Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.