Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices

I have an HP Officejet J4550 All-in-one printer and it just

I have an HP Officejet J4550 All-in-one printer and it just quit working. It says the black print cartridge is incompatible. It started this without my changing the cartridge. However, I have inserted a new cartridge, twice, and it still won't work. I have a 901 xl black cartridge in place. The alighnment it does works, then it starts blinking with the incompatible message when I try to print.
Chat Conversation Started
Robert Preston :

Robert Preston :

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head and the electronic contacts on each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button after reviewing my answer.

JACUSTOMER-4pydbs7q- :

Do you mean the shiny part of the ink cartridge? Do you mean I should do this inside the printer where the cartridge goes also?

Robert Preston :

Yes, both.

JACUSTOMER-4pydbs7q- :

Well, it says it now says to refer to device documentation to trouble shoot. I'll try the hot water/alcohol bit again and try to print again. I also have one more cartridge to try. If that doesn't work, how much is it approximately to replace a print head? Would I be better of buying a new printer?

Robert Preston :

For this model, probably. You're looking at probably around $50-75. If you would like to find out the price of it for sure you can call(NNN) NNN-NNNN

JACUSTOMER-4pydbs7q- :

Thank you.