John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have an Epson WorkForce 520 and cannot receive faxes. We

Customer Question

I have an Epson WorkForce 520 and cannot receive faxes. We can send out faxes. The Epson tech support was not able to help. They said the test fax said the phone line was busy, but this is a dedicated fax line so the line was not busy. There is a dial tone on the line and we can send faxes just fine. We changed the V.34 and ECM to off.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 years ago.
First, use a voice telephone or cellular phone, to call the fax's number - if the fax answers with tones, and then waits, just hang up - your fax seems to be fine so far if that's the case.
But more likely something else is wrong and the fax will not pick up the line and answer with tones. Tell me what happens, whatever it is, in exact detail... and I will be able to diagnose and make suggestion(s) appropriately.