Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

Error code 3501 on Kodak ESP 3 printer

Customer Question

Error code 3501 on Kodak ESP 3 printer
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
This error normally means that the cover is opened or did not close properly.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you but sorry. Your suggestions did not work. I carefully cleaned the cartridge heads and the inside of the machine but perhaps the failure is my fault.

I asked you about a fault with Error code 3501 on a Kodak ESP 3 printer. That was not my only problem but perhaps the biggest one. My original test paper
shows 3 faults on 3501 on 16.6, 17/6 and 10/8/10 and also errors on 3502 0n23/7 and 3820 on 11/6/10. I had just taken 3501 as it appeared three times.

Perhaps as you did not have all of the problem, we cannot expect your suggestions to work.

My question to you now is that I have errors on 3501(three times), 3502 and 3820.

Your views and advice please.

Chris Brisley
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
Ok thank you 3501 is a problem normall with the cover however the other two are caused by a problem with the print head. When there is a problem with the print head it can also cause the 3501 error to show up. I was unaware of the other error codes before so I thought it may just be the cover. Unfortunately if the print head is not work the steps I had you take before should of cleared the error. When it does not it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced. The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. If the machine is less than a year old kodak will normally send you a new one for free.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I`m sorry I have taken some time to come back to you.

Ihave now bought and fitted a new printhead and my test page still shows Error Code 3501 ( 4 times) and 3820

I still can not print usabvlw photos - they are unclear. fuzzy and poor tones.

Do you have any more suggestions?

Chris Brisley
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 6 years ago.
That is very strange and I can't find anything about 3820 anywhere. So I will opt out and open this to all experts in case someone else may have an idea as to what that error code means. If I find anything I will opt back in and reply the same way i did before.
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

- How and when did this problem begun. Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge.

- When did you buy this printer and since when are you facing this issue. How often do you use printer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem with printing good photos has been with me for some months. I have not had a paper jam. I`ve been trying to resolve the Error code faults for about a fortnight now.

I have replaced both black and coloured cartridges since getting the printhead (Got it on 19/8).

I can not find the paperwork but I have had the printer for less than 2 years. I bought it from PC World

As per my last note, I still have Error codes 3501 and 3820 and I get unusable prints when I try to print using the printer.

Chris Brisley
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

So do you mean that even though you are getting those error codes, you are still able to print in Black and Color. And only the print quality is bad ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes I am able to pri nt in black and in colour but my printed photos are unusable - colour ii nowhere like true and often too red.

Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

If you have replaced the print-heads and even then the same problem persists, then its evident that :
1. Either there is ink accumulated under the cartridge cradle or the print-feed area (through which the paper passes while printing). In this case you need to clean up the printer completely by dismantling it yourself or get it done at a local repair shop.
2. The Print System (electronic system responsible to guide the print-head) has failed and needs to be replaced. In this case you will have to send the printer to Kodak for repair.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to acknowledge my answer.

(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.