John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

i have a new canon mx870 printer and i cannot get to scan to

Customer Question

i have a new canon mx870 printer and i cannot get to scan to my computer.
could you help?
i have put in the document i would like to scan and i have chosen PC and auto scan and then it says set the PC to start scanning.
i thought i had already set the PC.
E.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
mac os x
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Please try this

1- Open Finder

2- Go to Applications

3- Double click "Preview"

4- Go to "File" menu

5- Click "Import from Scanner"

6- If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi i have tried your steps but when i double click preview nothing happens
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

That's weird.

Please try the following:

1- Open Finder

2- Click Applications

3- Click "Image Capture"

4- CLick your Scanner under "Devices"

5- Try to scan

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i click image capture it says no cameras connected.
i am just trying to scan a document and email it
e
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
What exact Mac OS X version do you have ? Go to apple icon, then About this Mac. You will see the version number under "Mac OS X"

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
version is 10.6.4
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you for your reply. Please follow the steps below to install the scanner drivers.

1- Click here ---> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx870#DriversAndSoftware

2- Click "Drivers & Software" if not selected yet

3- Click the red triangle next to "Select OS" and select "Mac OS X"

4- Scroll down and click "mx870sosxsd1600ea8-2.dmg" MX870 series Scanner Driver Ver. 16.0.0

5- Click I Agree-Begin download

6- Save the file

7- When the download finishes please double click the file to start the installation

8- Then try to scan

9- If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
unfortunately this is still not scanning to email. I would like to scan several documents and send them by email
You have been very helpful and i would like to continue if you can.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

Let me know if at least it scans following the steps below:

lease try the following:

1- Open Finder

2- Click Applications

3- Click "Image Capture"

4- CLick your Scanner under "Devices"

5- Try to scan

I know that's not what you want but I would like to know if there is connection between the scanner and the computer

Thank you :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi john,
i am just on my way out so will have to try later.
thank's for the reply.
ellen
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

No problem!, please keep me poster when you can

Thank you

John Cappucci
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hello!.

Have you tried the solution?, did it work?

Thank you

John Cappucci