Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices
14124282

severe paper jam on my hp 4500 officejet. cant see the jammed

severe paper jam on my hp 4500 officejet. can't see the jammed paper after removing the back but know it's in there. how canUi get to it tp remove it?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Hello Sir or Madam,

Welcome to JustAnswer Printers & Office. I will be happy to help you with your problem today.
Step one: Remove loose paper from the tray
Remove any loose sheets of paper from the input tray and the output tray.
CAUTION: Do not remove jammed paper at this stage. Trying to clear jammed paper from the front of the product can damage the print mechanism.
Remove any loose paper from the paper tray.Do not pull jammed paper from under the front cover
Graphic: Remove any loose paper from the paper trayGraphic: Do not remove jammed paper from the front of the product
Step two: Clear the paper jam from the back of the All-in-One
CAUTION: Always access and clear paper jams from the back of the product. Pulling paper from the font of the product can damage the print mechanism.
  1. Disconnect the USB or parallel cable from the back of the product.
  2. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
  4. Remove the rear access door. Press in the tab on the left side of the door, and then pull the door away from the product.
    Figure 1: Remove the rear access door
    Graphic: Removing the rear access door
  5. Gently pull any jammed paper out of the rollers inside the product.
    CAUTION: If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If pieces of paper remain in the product, more paper jams might occur.
  6. Carefully remove any scraps of paper that are still stuck in the product.
  7. Reattach the rear access door. Push the door forward until it snaps into place.
Step three: Clear the paper jam from the automatic document feeder (ADF)
Follow these steps to clear a paper jam in the ADF. Several common actions cause paper to jam in the ADF:
  • Placing too much paper in the ADF tray
  • Using paper that is too thick or too thin for the device
  • Trying to add paper to the ADF tray while the device is feeding pages
  1. Remove all originals from the ADF tray.
  2. Lift the ADF cover.
  3. Gently pull any jammed paper or bits of torn paper from the rollers.
    CAUTION: If the paper tears when you are remove it from the rollers, check the rollers for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If pieces of paper remain in the product, more paper jams might occur.
  4. Close the ADF cover.
Step four: Clear the jam from the front of the All-in-One
Follow these steps to remove the paper jam from the front of the product.
  1. Without opening the cartridge access door, check the tray for jammed paper that you cannot remove from the back.
  2. If you see jammed paper, gently pull it out.
    CAUTION: Remove the paper carefully. If the paper tears, part of it might remain inside the paper path and damage the product. Carefully remove all traces of paper that you can find.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
  4. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step five: Print a Printer Status Report
Print a Printer Status Report. See the section on how to use these solutions at the beginning of this document.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , and the Printer Status Report prints , there is no need to continue troubleshooting. Reconnect the USB cable, and then try to print again.
  • If the issue persists , continue with the next solution.
  • If the Printer Status Report does not print , continue with the next solution.
Solution two: Make sure that the carriage can move freely
Follow these steps to make sure that the carriage can move freely.
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product.
  2. Open the cartridge access door.
    Figure 2: Open the cartridge access door
    Graphic: Opening the cartridge access door.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.
    CAUTION: You must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and reset the paper feed mechanism without the risk of electrical shock.
  5. Check for any paper or object that might be stopping the carriage.
  6. Remove any paper or objects you find.
  7. Reach inside the product, and then manually move the carriage.
    • If the carriage is stuck on the right side , move the carriage to the left side of the product.
    • If the carriage is stuck on the left side , move the carriage to the right side of the product.
    • If the carriage is stuck in the middle , move the carriage to the right.
  8. Remove any paper or obstructions found.
    NOTE: You might need to use a flashlight to illuminate some areas.
  9. Make sure that the carriage can move freely across the width of the product by gently pushing the carriage to the left, and then to the right.
  10. Close the cartridge access door.
  11. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
  12. Plug the power cord back into the power source or electrical outlet.
  13. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Solution three: Clean the rollers and the rear access door
Follow these steps to clear the paper rollers inside the All-in-One.
Step one: Clean the rollers
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Remove the rear access door. Press in the tab on the left side of the door, and then pull the door away from the product.
    Figure 3: Remove the rear access door
    Graphic: Removing the rear access door
  4. Lightly moisten a lint-free cloth with distilled or bottled water, and then wipe the paper rollers. Rotate the rollers with your fingers to clean all the way around.
    Figure 4: Clean the rollers
    Graphic: Showing paper rollers
  5. Make sure that the paper feed rollers on the rear access door are clean, free of paper bits, and rotate freely.
    Figure 5: Access door rollers
    Graphic: Showing the rear access door and paper rollers
  6. Allow the rollers to dry completely.
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  9. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step two: Print a Printer Status Report
Solution four: Perform a power reset
Step one: Perform a power reset
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.
Step two: Print a Printer Status Report
Step three: Search for more information
If you are still experiencing issues, see the HP Product Support Home Page, and then search for another document that relates to the symptoms you are experiencing.
Right-click this link, Product Support Home Page , and then click Open in New Window .
NOTE: If the page displays in the wrong country/region or language, click the Region - Language link in the upper right corner of your browser. Then you can select the correct country/region and language.
Solution five: Service the All-in-One
If you have completed all the steps listed above and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.

Thanks,
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience: 5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will pay for this answer tomy problem but am extremely disattisfied with the material provided in the instruction book that accompanied my 4500 Officejet. I will be purchasing NO more HP products as a result.