Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My officejet 4500 Desktop will not print envelopes. It as

My officejet 4500 Desktop will not print envelopes. It as attached to a Dell desktop with an Windows XP operating system.                    I have now waited over 1/2 hour and no answer yet - how long does it take?????????                  
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

what happens when you try to print envelopes ? it is certainly designed to print them.

this page has a video showing how to load the envelopes in the printer

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01968370&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3919449

if it just sits there and doesnt print your software may be setting it to manual feed in which case it is waiting for you to hit the go or resume button after you load the envelope in

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My desktop is an HP Officejet 4500 Desktop G 510 a. The printer you referred to is a different model. Please answer for the above printer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

it is close enough those instructions will work

or it is on page 27 in this manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01991014.pdf

but the tray feed is exactly the same and the video will give you more detail

exactly what problem are you having when you try to print them ?

Edited by Robert on 8/2/2010 at 11:04 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I go to ptint the only thing that I get is ENVELOPE OPTINNS. With my ofiginal printer (not broken) I got a picture of the envelope with the address. How do I get that with my new Office jet?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

what program are you using ms word ?

you have to go to tools / labels and envelopes and select the type of envelope you are going to use

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am using Microsoft Word. The propeer directional plate will not appear. Is it the 4500 or what?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

its possible that that printer just does not have that feature in the driver for ms word. it is probably ms words own database of printers that knows which way the envelope feeds for some of the more popular printers but you can try reinstalling the printer driver

download and run the full package not the basic drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3919449#N692

and try going to file print setup and make sure it has the correct printer selected

in any case it is a minor thing try the envelope a couple of differen ways and you will know which way to put it in. usually it goes with the short edge going in first and the flap down but the video i gave you in the first link should show exactly which direction to put them in

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe that the printer does not print from word - you should know, but evidently you don't you have wasted hours of my time for no avail. Thanks
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

well you know if you had said "my printer does not print from word" rather than i cant figure out how to print on envelopes maybe neither one of us would have been wasting our time.

does it print from other programs ?

if you go to file / print and select the correct printer wil it print then.

try these simple steps for getting a printer to print

check both ends of the cable between the printer and computer.
unplug them and plug them in again

go to printer and faxes folder

right click on the printer make sure that it does not say "use printer offline"

make sure it is listed as default printer

double click on the printer. cancel any jobs that are in the queu

turn the printer off

turn the computer off

turn the printer on

turn the comptuer on

go to printer and faxes folder
right click on the printer and select properties
attempt to print a test page

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The address list is in Computer and is one of many programs. It is listed as JRL Persona When I attempt to print an adress the Envelopes form does not appear.It does in all other printings.l
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.
ok now you are confusing me. are you talking about somebodies address that you can not pull up in ms word or that you can not print from ms word ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was mistaken with ms word. The list of names and addresses is in basic computer under MY COMPUTER - John R. Lauricella Documents. It is listed as JRL Personel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
See above reply
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.
well you would need to open that file in ms word in order to print the envelopes. i am kind of confused as to what you are trying to accomplish and how you are trying. or perhaps i should ask how did you USED to do it that wont work now because you changed the printer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I used to just click on jrl documents and then highlight the name and address I wanted to print and then click on tools, then letters & mailings, then enveloper & labels and then one more click and I would get a printout of the desired envelope with the name and address and return address printed and I would then hit PRINT.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

what happens if you click on jrl documents now ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i get to my documents - file folders. it is from there that i get to my personal list.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

bear with me here. obviously something has changed from the way you used to do things to the way it works now. i dont think it has anything to do with the printer. so i am trying to find out at what point in your procedure things have changed so that we can fix it.

before you would click on the file and it would open in a program. which let you see all the addresses and had a tools option that let you print labels

what program did it open in?

when you click on it now does it open in the same program ? in a different program ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it opens the same program
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i get to my documents - file folders. it is from there that i get to my personal list.THE ONLY CHANGE WAS THE HOOKUP OF THE NEW PRINTER AND INSTILLATION OF ITS DISC.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

you are not making any sense at all now. lets try to keep things in order.

you open jrl document and THEN what happens.

does it open a program or does it open another folder of your documents

we could really be doing this a lot faster if you would answer all of my questions completely

what program does it open?

and do your addresses show up in there.

if you highlight one of the addresses and then go to tools / envelopes what happens

Edited by Robert on 8/3/2010 at 9:05 PM EST
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

lets make this simple

starting from when you log onto your computer

i want you to list every single step that you take in order to print envelopes

and exaclty what happens after that step

and whether it is different then what used to happen

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Everything i do is the same as i have always done. the difference is that i get a window stating Envelope Options and when I ckick OK i get a blank screen (it goes back to my address list but at the top which is blank.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.
you need to highlight one of the addresses before you hit the envelope thing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do that.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.
what program is it ? and have you tried setting the envelope options before you hit ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe that it is in windows. I have not seen any envelope options to hit.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

windows is an operating system not a program

you can see what program it is by hitting help / about

this is what i get when i hit envelopes in word 2007

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have never seen that screen appear. I have stated that I am not using Word at the time that I am opening my address list.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

and i have asked you about 10 times what program you are using without an answer

i am opting out as i can no longer help you as you dont seem willing or able to give me the necessary information to find the exact problem let alone a solution

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTIONS - I HAVE DONE THE BEST THAT I CAN TO EXPLAIN MY PROBLEMS BUT YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT WHICH I HAVE TOLD YOU
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

when you click on a document it brings up a program i need to know what that program is so that i can tell what it should be doing and why it is not. because what you are telling me it is doing is not making sense

do you have microsoft word on your computer ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hOW DO i GET MY PRINTER TO PRINT ENVELOPES FROM MY LIST OF NAMES ADN ADDRESSES ABOVE DESCRIBED?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

ok this is why i am opting out you absolutely refuse to answer my questions and it has become impossible to help you

some other expert will attempt to assist you but i think that i am not the first one that has tried and this is prbably not a very difficult problem

can you imagine that your mechanic woud tell you how to fix your car if all you said was "i cant get to the grocery store" and i dont know what model car it is

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I await hearing from that person. The box in your above image is the one that I cannot get to come up after I have highlighted a name and address. It is in 8-3-10 reply at 8:37.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

what software and what version are you using ?

click on help / about and it will tell you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Intel(R) Pentiun (R) 4CPU 3,00GHZ - Operating system - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Versiiiiiiiiiiiion 5.1.2600
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Intel(R) Pentiun (R) 4CPU 3,00GHZ - Operating system - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1.2600
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 years ago.

yes that is your operating system it is not the program that you are using to make envelopes

honestly i think that you may not have the level of knowledge necessary to work this way. you may be better off having somebody local come look at it for you

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.