John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Kodak 5300 and would like to clean printhead, HOW

I have a Kodak 5300 and would like to clean printhead, HOW?
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

In order to clean the print head please follow the steps below:

Clean the printhead:
  1. Press Menu.
  2. Select Clean Printhead, then press OK.
  3. Select Deep Clean, then press OK. The On/Off light flashes green during the cleaning procedure.
  4. When the On/Off light glows steady, press OK.
  5. Select Calibrate Printer.
  6. Select Print Calibration Page
  7. Press Start.
  8. When the print is complete, press Cancel to end the calibration process.
  9. When the print is complete, press Cancel to end the calibration process.
  10. Check the six color bars on the printed calibration sheet.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
John, Not real familiar with this online help, anyway I tried your approach as I did many times before, I just wanted to get the head out and look it over, clean, etc. It wouldn't print black on regular paper, just photo paper, now it only wants to print faded crap on photo paper with no black. Kodak has a problem from what I just read on line in a blog. Quess my best bet is just donate this and buy something with fewer problems. Thanks anyway, Don If you want to give me any more advice I'm always open for suggestions. Have a great day!
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Is Kodak asking money for the print head ? If your printer is still new (has warranty) or in some models then give printheads for free. Please ask Kodak about it.

Ok, please follow the steps below in order to remove the print head:

1. Make sure the printer is on.
  2. Lift the printer access door and wait for the carriage to move to the access position.

NOTE: For ESP 3250 and ESP 5250 all-in-one printers:
    • On the printer control panel, press Home.
    • Select Maintenance, then press OK.
    • Select Install Ink Cartridges, then press OK.
      If "Install Ink Cartridges" is not an available selection, upgrade the firmware.

3. Remove any paper that may be loaded in the printer.
  4. Remove the black and color ink cartridges and set them aside.
  5. Remove the existing printhead:
    • For ESP Series Printers, unlatch the printhead by lifting the latch in the center of the carriage.

• For 5000 Series Printers, unlatch the printhead by pressing the button in the upper-left corner of the carriage.

6. Lift the printhead out of the carriage.
  7. Remove the new printhead from its bag.

CAUTION: Do not touch the copper contacts on the printhead, as this may damage it.

8. Remove the plastic protective shields.
  9. Place the new printhead into the carriage.

10. Push firmly against the target label of the printhead until you hear a loud snap.

11. Insert the color ink cartridge into the printhead and press down until you hear it click into place.
  12. Insert the black ink cartridge into the printhead and press down until you hear it click into place.
  13. Close the printer access door.

The printer detects the new printhead. Follow the instructions on the LCD to calibrate your printer.
    NOTE: ESP 3 all-in-one printers do not require calibration.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, It is out of warranty, they gave me an estimate of about $25. I just haven't followed up with them, thought I could try something myself, 40 years with copier repair. When I got on line researching the comments about the printhead made me doubt whether it's worth messing with! I probably haven't made over 1000 prints. Don