Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My hp psc 1310 will not print no matter what I do.

check the cables to the printer. turn the printer on and off. reboot the computer and the printer by unplugging it for 30 seconds then replugging it in

check under printers and faxes for the printer right click on it make sure that it does not say use printer offline

double click on it. delete all jobs in the queu

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done all of that and more and it still won't print.

can you print a test page directly from the printer ? if not there is a physical problem with the printer tell me if there are any lights flashing etc etc.

you have not told me what operating system you are on.

go to this link download and save the correct driver for your operating system.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=374578&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20»

unplug the usb connection for the printer

go to printers and faxes and highlight the printer and hit the delete button to delete it

run the software that you downloaded

do NOT reconect the printer to the computer until the software installation asks you to or it is succesfully completed.

when you plug it in try to use a different usb port then the one you have been using. check the usb plug is secure at the printer end as well unplug it and plug it in again

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried all of the above. In addition, I compressed files to free up more disk space. None of this worked. One problem that I see is that I can delete a file from the print spool but it still shows up in Printers and Faxes on the Control Panel as being there. The counter on the printer in the control panel does not match reality. There is a miscommunication between the printer and the control panel. I also tried turning off the print spool to print directly but the printer would not allow printing doing that. Actually the printer disappeared from the control panel and I could restore it until I re-activated print spooling. I am going to take a break and go at this again tomorrow. Any more ideas?

leave the spooler alone. you cant print without it. i am not even sure how you go into the print spooler and delete directly from there. delete jobs from the printer driver in priner and faxes. heck that may be the thing that screwed it up if the driver thinks there are jobs to print and the spooler doesnt have them to pring

delete everything reboot everything and reinstall it just the way i said to using new drivers.and a different usb port

check the device manager go through it and delete everything that has a yellow or red mark on it

then reboot see if they get reinstalled correctly

see if you can print a tet page directly from the printer

if it worked a few days ago try doing a system restore.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My operating system is Windows XP.
I did all that. All I can think of is that the cable is bad and I will buy another one.

or the usb port. or the printer

check the device manager try deleting the usb ports and rebooting and letting it reinstall them.