Brandon M.
Brandon M., System Administrator
Experience:  Currently an IT Manager for law firm for 5+ years.

the printer is saying remove tape from cartridge. I am afraid.

the printer is saying "remove tape from cartridge." I am afraid. also says there is an alignment problem.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
BeBoo :

Hi there. Remove the cartridge from the printer. There will be a piece of tape that is probably loose. Pull it off. It will wrap around the cartridge - make sure you remove the whole piece and insert it back into the printer.

Customer:

this did not work. there is no tape attached to the cartridge. there is tape attached to be back of the cartridge holde, which moves back and forth.

Customer:

I can see what looks like a roll of tape of some kind going from the back of the printer up into the glass area. it is under the glass, near the top of the area.

BeBoo :

Is this a new printer?

Customer:

yes, one year old, purchased last July

BeBoo :

I meant brand new - If there is any tape on the printer, it should definately be removed. Does the tape attached to the back of the cartridge holder look like it can be removed?

Customer:

no- it expands and contracts as the cartridges move back and forth. iT ALMOST FEEL RUBBERIZED OR SOME TYPE OF PLASTIC. Ni THINK IT BELONGS THERE.

BeBoo :

Nah, thats the connector. Can't remove that.

BeBoo :

Is the cartridge brand new?

Customer:

tHE PROBLEM TAPE IS NOT ATTACHED TO IT BUT IS COMING FROM THE BACK ABOUT AN INCH FROM THE PAPER GUIDE ON THE RIGHT.

Customer:

i CAN FEEL A PEICE OF PLASTIC ABOUT 1/2 INCH WIDE THAT MAY BE ATTACHED TO IT

Customer:

NO

BeBoo :

Does the printer print at all?

Customer:

i THINK THE COLOR CARTRIDGE IS EMPTY. i CAN REPLACE THAT (NOT NOW) AND THAT WHAT PROBABLY MAKE THE ALINGGGMENT OKAY.

Customer:

bUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN ABOUT THE TAPE?

BeBoo :

The message probably says "Alignment problem, remove tape from cartridges or check troubleshoot."

Customer:

nO THE PRINTER DOES NOT PRINT ALTHOUGH IT DID AN ALIGNMENT PAGE...BLACK ONLY.

BeBoo :

If the cartridges aren't new then it's having issues talking to the cartridge (the little contacts on it). I would recommend replacing one or both of them.

BeBoo :

It might be a problem with the color cartridge then.

Customer:

wHAT IS THE TAPE UNDER THE GLASS?

Customer:

i just printed this page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeBoo :

Does it look removable? (the tape)?

BeBoo :

Did the color print?

Customer:

But still want to know what is the tape under the glass. Was it always there?

BeBoo :

Is it under the scanning glass?

Customer:

You are correct about the way themessage read. There was no tape on the cartridges so I assumed they meant the tape along the back which pulls the cartridge holder back and forth.

Customer:

Yes, it is under the scanning glass.

BeBoo :

You don't want to remove the tape (it's actually called a ribbon) that connects to the back of the cartridge holder. That is what connects to the cartridges. There should be a similar type ribbon under the scanning glass. Does it look the same as the one on the cartridge holder?

Customer:

yes

BeBoo :

Then yes, that has always been there. That connects from the "brain" of the printer to the scanner lamp. The scanned document is sent through those cables (or ribbon) to the printer.

Customer:

Thank you, BeBoo!!

BeBoo :

No problem. Have a great evening.

Customer:

I think our problem is low ink!!! Not being a computer expert...I panic when I don't understand a message...in this case, I didn not READ it correctly.

BeBoo :

Most likely because the color is low. You should replace that when you can and you shouldn't have any more issues.

Customer:

I thkink we will be okay..will get more ink tomorrow.

Customer:

M. Lydon

BeBoo :

If you are happy with my responses, please be sure to click Accept so that I may get paid for my time. Positive feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated. Have a great evening!

Customer:

Good job. Thank you!

Brandon M., System Administrator
Experience: Currently an IT Manager for law firm for 5+ years.