James, Sr. Printers/Copiers Expert
Experience:  20 years experience with IT, networks and office equipment.

canon MP960-reading UO52-type of print head is incorrect. install

canon MP960-reading UO52-type of print head is incorrect. install the correct print head. Its the original instr bk pg-73 says remove print head once and reinstall, but how? lock on rt side only loosens it. If error not resolved, the prnt head maybe damaged.
Category: Printers
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Please follow this procedure:

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on and open the paper output tray .

2. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

Note : When the scanning unit (printer cover) is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the scanning unit (printer cover), and open it again.

3. Open the inner cover.

Follow the instructions below for Installing the Print Head and Installing the Ink Tanks.

Installing the Print Head

1. Raise the print head lock lever.

2. Pull out the print head from its package, then remove the orange protective cap from it.

CAUTION: Do not touch the print head nozzles <1> , electrical contacts <2>, or ink supply ports <3>. Doing so may cause printing problems.

3. Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

Installing the Ink Tanks

1. Unpack the ink tank and pull the orange tape off completely in the direction of the arrow and remove the film.

Note: Tear the orange tape carefully along the dotted line. If the orange tape remains, printing problems may occur.

<4> Tape is completely removed.

<5> Tape remains.

2. Remove the orange protective cap located on the bottom of the ink tank by twisting as shown in the diagram.

CAUTION: Do not touch the ink tank contact <6>. Doing so may cause printing problems. Do not squeeze the side of ink tanks as this may cause the ink to leak out. Do not reattach the protective cap once you have removed it.

3. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

NOTE: Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

4. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

<7> The ink tanks are installed properly.

<8> The ink tanks are not installed properly.

NOTE: Click for Ink Tank Lamp indications.

5. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover).

CAUTION: When closing the scanning unit (printer cover), be careful not to jam fingers.

Memo: The next printing begins, the print head cleaning will begin automatically.

Ink Tank Lamp indications

You can check the status of each ink tank according to the way its lamp flashes.

- On: The printer is ready to print.

- Slow flashing (at about three second interval): Ink is low. Prepare a new ink tank.

- Fast flashing (at about one second interval): Ink tank is empty, or the printer is not ready due to an error.

- Off: An error has occurred and the printer is not ready to print.

If this doesn't help, the printhead is damaged and needs replacing.

J.
James, Sr. Printers/Copiers Expert
Experience: 20 years experience with IT, networks and office equipment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
What in my answer did you find incomplete?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You presumed I already had a replacement print head for canon 960 mp. I'd like to replace with new. What is part or stock number? How and where do I order such? Cost? Info from canon for the birds, They push only new and ignore discontinued models.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.

You can get all the info from Canon:

Canon Customer Support Center
Hours: Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET, excluding holidays
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON (toll free)
1-800-652-2666
TTD: 1-866-251-3752 (toll free)
Email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX