Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices

my canon pixma MP530 leaves a black line of ink on the back

my canon pixma MP530 leaves a black line of ink on the back of the documents it prints, i have tried the bottom plate cleaning, did that 3 times, cleaned the protrusions inside the machine but when I then printed a test page there it was again. it looks as though a ink cartridge is leaking but how does it get to the underside of the paper? I've noticed from other posts that this is a recurring problem with this printer model
Hello Sir or Madam,

Welcome to JustAnswer Printers & Office. I will be happy to help you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Robert Preston
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi thanks for that and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. tried cleaning the printhead, but when I then printed a test page the ink streak was back and quite severe. We've tried a new ink cartridge but no luck. So it looks like a new printhead is needed, any tips on how to get one?
thank you,
Nils den Hertog

You can purchase a new one here:

Click Here