Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

HP Officejet 4315v All -in-One. I never get an answer when

HP Officejet 4315v All -in-One. I never get an answer when I fax someone. It always says "no answer", even when I know someone is there and their fax is working. I have Comcast with two cables coming out from the back. Can you help me? Thanks. XXXXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Solution one: Use the HP Fax Test Service
HP has a fax test number to test HP fax products. This is available in the U.S. only. The telephone number for this service is 1-888-HPFaxme (1-888-473-2963). The fax service receives faxes and returns faxes to the number contained in the fax header.
  1. Make sure that the fax header contains the full 10-digit telephone number of your HP fax product, including the area code.
    To modify the fax header, use the following steps:
    1. Press Setup on the product control panel.
    2. Press Basic Fax Setup , and then press Fax Header .
    3. Type personal or company information using the keypad, and then press OK .
    4. Type the phone number, including area code, for your HP fax product, and then press OK .
  2. Dial 1-888-HPFaxme, and then send a fax to the HP Fax Test Service.
If a return fax arrives within 5 to 7 minutes, the fax is receiving and you are done with this document and do not need to proceed. If a return fax does not arrive within 5 to 7 minutes, there might be a problem with the setup of the fax machine. Continue to the next solution.
Solution two: Print a fax test
  1. Make sure the product is turned on and correctly connected to the telephone jack.
  2. Make sure that there is plain white paper in the input tray.
  3. Press the Setup button on the product control panel.
  4. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Tools , and then press OK .
  5. From the Tools menu, press the right arrow ( ) to select Run Fax Test , and then press OK . The fax diagnostic test prints.
  6. Review the results of the test.
    • If the test lists faxing issues and solutions, the fax test failed. Follow the solutions on the printed report to troubleshoot the issue. This report is specific to your product and faxing environment, so use the solutions on the report to resolve the listed faxing issues. Repeat the Fax Test after fixing the listed faxing issues to make sure the test passes.
    • If the test does not list faxing issues and solutions, the fax test passed. Continue to the next solution.
  7. Try to send a fax again. If the HP fax still cannot send a fax, continue to the next solution.
Solution three: Test the scan function
The HP fax product must be able to perform a scan in order to send a fax.
Place the fax test page on the scanner glass or in the document feeder and perform a copy. If the copy is successful, continue to the next solution. If the product cannot copy, follow support documentation for copying before continuing with fax testing.
Solution four: Test the send function
Try sending the fax to the HP fax test service 1888-HPFaxme (1888-473-2963 U.S. only). If the HP fax test service is not available, send a test fax to another fax that has been successful in the past.
  • If the send test was successful, then the issue might be with the receiving fax.
  • If this second attempt also fails, continue to the next solution.
  • If the receiving fax answers the call and begins beeping, but the Connecting message does not appear on the product control panel display, the product is not detecting the tones from the receiving fax. Continue to the next solution.
Solution five: Check the fax number
  1. Make sure the fax number is XXXXX Include any numbers that you have to dial to use the telephone, such as an area code, access codes such as ‘9’ for outside lines or long-distance services.
    NOTE: If you have to dial a sequence of numbers to make a call from that telephone line, you also have to dial that sequence of numbers to send a fax.
  2. Try calling the fax number from a telephone and listen for fax tones.
    • If you hear fax tones, hang up and continue to the next solution.
    • If you cannot hear fax tones, the receiving fax might not be turned on or connected, or a voice mail service could be interfering with the recipient's phone line. Ask the recipient to check the receiving fax machine for any problems.
Solution six: Turn on the fax error code reporting and then test the send function
The HP fax can report a three digit error code if it detects an error condition when sending or receiving faxes. Turn on the fax error reporting to determine the error code.
  1. Press the Setup button on the product control panel.
  2. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Print Report , and then press OK .
  3. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Fax Error Report .
  4. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Send and Receive , and then press OK .
  5. Using the product keypad instead of a speed dial, send a fax to the correct fax number.
  6. Observe the product control panel display and listen to the sounds the product makes. If the product is working correctly, the following events occur.
    1. When the product begins to dial, a dial tone is audible, followed by the sound of the product dialing. A Dialing message appears on the control panel display.
    2. If a receiving fax answers the call, the product and the remote fax exchange tones. A Connecting message appears on the control panel display. During this phase, the product and the remote fax compare capabilities, exchange information about how to send the fax, and try to establish a reliable transmission speed.
    3. After the connection is established, the product sends the pages of the document. Messages appear on the control panel display that indicate the status, such as Sending page 1 .
  7. Review the results of the fax attempt.
    • If the fax was sent the issue is resolved, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
    • If a receiving fax does not answer the call, try sending the fax to another fax that has been successful in the past.
    • If the send fax was successful, then the issue might be with the receiving fax.
    • If a fax error report prints, continue to the next step.
  8. Check the fax error report for a 3-digit fax code.
    Click here (buu02549) to view a document with instructions for the 3-digit code.
  9. Follow the document instructions.
    If the document instructs you to turn off the Error Correcting Mode (ECM), use the following steps.
    CAUTION: ECM should only be turned off for specific reasons and as a temporary fix. Turning off ECM disables certain features of the HP fax product such as color fax capabilities.
    2. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Advanced Fax Setup , and then press OK .
    3. Press the right arrow ( ) to select ECM , and then press OK .
    4. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Off , and then press OK .
  10. Try sending a fax again. If the HP fax still cannot send a fax, continue to the next solution.
Solution seven: Check the dialing speed
You might need to insert some pauses in the number sequence to prevent the unit from dialing too fast or too soon. For example, if you need to access an outside line before dialing the phone number, insert a pause following the access number.
  1. If the fax number is XXXXX and 9 accesses an outside line, you can insert pauses as follows: 9-555-5555.
  2. To enter a pause in the fax number you are typing, press the Space button repeatedly until a dash (-) appears on the display.
  3. If you are using a speed dial entry to send the fax, update the speed dial entry to include pauses in the number sequence.
You can also send the fax using monitor dialing. This enables you to listen to the phone line as you dial. You can set the pace of your dialing, and respond to prompts as you dial.
Solution eight: Check VoIP digital phone line
Fax transmissions are sensitive to the timing of the signals used to transmit the fax. Using a VoIP phone service can cause faxing to fail. Changing the Fax Speed Adjustment setting to Medium may improve the ability to send a fax over a VoIP phone line.
NOTE: Because HP fax products are designed to work with ordinary analog phone service, HP cannot guarantee that the HP fax product will work with a VoIP service.
Use these steps to change the fax speed adjustment to a lower speed.
  3. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Fax Speed , and then press OK .
  4. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Medium , and then press OK .
  5. Try to send a fax again.
    If the HP fax still cannot send a fax, try lowering the fax speed even further. If needed, contact the VoIP provider as they might have options to improve the ability to send and receive faxes over VoIP telephone service.
If the HP fax still cannot send a fax, continue to the next solution.
Solution nine: Test with a simple fax connection
  1. Plug the telephone cord directly into the telephone jack and not through any other device.
  2. If present, remove any splitters or other devices attached to the line, except for a DSL filter.
  3. If the phone cord is over 3 meters (10 feet) long, move the fax closer to the phone jack and use a cord that is no longer than 3 meters (10 feet).
  4. Connect the telephone cord directly to the back of the product into the port labeled 1-Line .
    Figure 1: Back view of the product with the telephone cord plugged into the correct port
    View of the telephone cord plugged into the 1-LINE port
    1 - Telephone jack
    2 - Telephone cord
  5. If other devices such as, telephone answering machines or computer modems, are attached to the phone line, remove them. If devices attached to other extensions of the same phone line are present, remove them for this test.
    Each device on the phone line has a ringer equivalence number. The ringer equivalence number (REN) is used to determine how many devices can be connected to your telephone line. In most areas, there should not be more than five on any one line. If too many devices are attached, they may not ring properly. This may cause the ring to not be detected by the HP fax product.
  6. Try to send a fax.
    If removing phone devices and connections allows the HP Fax product to send faxes, this indicates interference from one or more of the removed devices. Interference can be caused by incompatibility or by using too many other phone devices at once. Phone devices can be added back but test to make sure they don’t start to interfere again.
  7. If a DSL filter is needed on the line, try changing the DSL filter. Also if new phone cords have not been tried, change the phone cord to the unit with a new two line phone cord. Try the sending function again.
    • If the HP fax sends a fax, the issue is resolved.
    • If the HP fax still does not send a fax, continue to the next solution.
Solution ten: Perform a partial reset of the product
A partial reset of the product returns all fax settings to the default values.
CAUTION: Performing a partial reset may remove all speed dials and other fax settings. It might be necessary to reset the language and country/region settings after the partial reset is complete. Perform a partial reset only as a last resort.
  1. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
  2. Wait 20 seconds and then press and hold # and 3 on the product control panel.
  3. Continuing to press # XXXXX 3, reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
  4. Release the buttons when the product turns on. The product resets to factory defaults.
  5. Try to send a fax again.
Solution eleven: Test in another location
If possible, move the HP fax product to another location with a separate telephone line (another house for instance). Try to receive a fax at that location. If the HP fax product is found to function correctly in the other location, the issue is not with the HP fax product. The telephone line should be tested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated

Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks..if I sound negative I am sorry. Please don't take it personally as I am having several bad days. Your answer seemed very efficient and lengthy, but I would have appreciated someone just telling me to get a telephone cord and splitter first instead of going through all of the other stuff. Maybe I didn't make myself clear (the question) and that is my fault. Sorry. I DO appreciate your taking and time and expertise to help me.

thanks again................joanna