James, Sr. Printers/Copiers Expert
Experience:  20 years experience with IT, networks and office equipment.
24111805

My Photosmart printer started to print strange color combination,

My Photosmart printer started to print strange color combination, as if the majenta is off by 2-3 mm in one direction. Nothing is sharp. I am also trying to clean the print heads but can't find any instructions on how to do it.

Thanks in advance,

Fred Keil
Category: Printers
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.

Please try the following methods to clean the printer:

Cleaning the ink cartridges with the HP Printer Toolbox
  1. Click Start .
  2. Click Settings .
  3. Click Printers .
  4. Right-click the icon of the printer in use.
  5. Click Properties .
  6. Click the Services tab.
  7. Click Open the HP Photosmart Toolbox or Service this device.
  8. Click the Device Services tab. This tab does not display in Windows XP; proceed to the next step.
  9. Click Clean the Print Cartridges .
  10. Follow the onscreen prompts.
Manually cleaning the ink cartridges
  1. Turn the printer on and lift the top cover.
  2. After the ink cartridges have moved to the center of the printer, unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.
  3. Remove the ink cartridges and place them wide side down on a piece of paper.
  4. Prepare a clean, foam-rubber swab or a lint-free cloth slightly dampened with water.
  5. Locate the copper-colored circuitry strip on the back of each cartridge.
  6. Clean the copper-colored strip with the dampened swab or cloth. Do not wipe the nozzle end of the cartridge or touch the nozzle plate.
  7. Clean the carriage contacts on the back wall of the ink cartridge carriage with a damp foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth. Use a dry foam-rubber swab or a lint-free cloth to remove moisture from the contacts.
Cleaning the ink cartridge cradle
  1. Assume an eye level position with the HP Photosmart printer.
  2. Locate the ink cartridge cradle.
  3. Using clean, moistened swabs, wipe the underside of each wall of the carriage where fibers may collect and come in contact with the paper. Repeat until no ink residue is seen on a clean swab.
  4. Reconnect power cord when finished cleaning.
  5. When finished cleaning the ink cartridges and the cradle, print a test page.
Thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did for cleaning no improvements. I will purchase a new cartridge and try again tomorrow and report back.

Fred

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
That's cool Fred.
I do hope it is the tank and not the head.
James, Sr. Printers/Copiers Expert
Experience: 20 years experience with IT, networks and office equipment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
James,

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX accept your answer, however, the real problem was a new and defective cartridge. Aftre installing a new cartridge the problem disappeared.

Fred
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I didn't want you to buy a new cartridge before cleaning, because cleaning is free :)

Thanks for accepting, I appreciate that!

J.