Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience

My Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 926 works for a while, prints

My Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 926 works for a while, prints a few copies, then won't work. I have gone through all the trouble shooting suggestions, replaced the USB cable with a new one, removed and reinstalled the printer software. I get the message "printer interface has stopped working and the program was closed." Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
what version of windows are you using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am using Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went to that website and it was talking about the USB device not detected using upper USB port on Dell Latitude D-Series portable computer. I have a Vostro 200 model and my printer will print a few pages, then quit. It saves any print requests and will start printing whatever tasks are in it's memory after the computer is restarted. Also, what is supposed to happen after I go to #2 in Step 1 above? I clicked on the updates, but that was nothing helpful as to resolving my printer problem. I then went to Dell-Technical Support, which directed me to the USB device not detecting using the upper USB port on the Dell Latitude.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
On #2 click on the fix it icon and it willautomatically make the fixes for you.
You may have to restart for the changes to take effect
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: This did not solve my problem. I have spent many hours trying to check out why my computer interface stops working, have checked for updates, etc.--it still works a while, then quits & I have to restart the computer to get it to work again..
This did not solve my problem. I have spent many hours trying to check out why my computer interface stops working, have checked for updates, etc.--it still works a while, then quits & I have to restart the computer to get it to work again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am VERY, VERY, VERY frustrated and feel like I have spent many hours all for nothing! My problem has NOT been solved, but I see the $30 charge has been deducted from my checking account! I have tried several different "help" services (all with a fee), but nobody has solved my problem yet.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
I did not get your reply before this please do not relist your question or I will not recieve your replys. Do you still get the same error message? Did you run the fixit program in step 2 that I gave you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I still get the same error message and I ran the fixit program in step 2 that you gave me. I also get a message when I restart my computer from the Update Manager that says "an error occurred Error #-5" It tells me to visit http://consumer.installshield.com, but I get no answers there!!! Does this help you any?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.To do that click on start type in the search box windows update and press enter.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers, you'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After over three hours, my device driver software was NOT successfully installed! I received the following message: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.This operation returned because the timeout period expired. If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software." (This happened to me once before when I thought I was successfully downloading and installing a driver for my printer.)

When you said, "To do that click on start type in the search box windows update and press enter," did you mean: Click on start; type in the search box "windows update"; and press "enter?" It was a little confusing when you typed all that in one sentence with no capitalization and punctuation. I wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to do. You said to make sure my computer had the latest Windows updates. Every time I checked updates, it told me I had all the current updates. I googled in ".netframework" and came up with "NET Framework 2.0", which I downloaded. Then I followed your "latest Java" link and downloaded that. After that, I followed your "this patch" link and downloaded that. (That one came up with a "R166245.Zip File" I needed a download for a Photo AIO Printer. HOWEVER, I think what got downloaded was "R165317 for Printer 966 Driver Version A02 and that's why it failed.) Do you have a solution?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I need to opt out and open this to all experts
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it possible to get my $30 refunded? I realize you spent time on this, but I still don't have an answer to my problem.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
I have sent in a refund request for you. I apologize for not being able to help you better.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I appreciate all your effort.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
your welcome and have a wonderful day