Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

6A00 printer error on canon MP970

Customer Question

6A00 printer error on canon MP970
Category: Printers
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Error 6A00 on the Pixma means carriage jam. The printer head is unable to move. This can be caused by something stopping it (e.g. a foreign object) or a broken gear or other damage to the carriage assembly. See if you can find something that would block the carriage from moving. If you can't find anything, you will need to service the printer so that the carriage mechanism can be repaired.

J.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

6A00 is basically a hardware error related to Purge Unit. If printer is in warranty get it replaced by Canon. If not please read ahead.

Open the cover. There is a Purge unit on the right. Use a flashlight and you will see two ink pads. This is where the printhead is PARKED,.. and is the top of the Purge unit. There are wiper blades that move from the rear to the front that wipe the bottom of the printhead when it is parked (The ink pads actually drop down about 3/4" to allow the wiper to pass,..then it supposed to SPRING back to the rear. All of this, and the ink suction for cleaning the printhead is done by the purge unit,... one of the most complex parts of the printer.

Use some rubber gloves and a paper towel and see if you can press the ink pads down just a little bit, like 1/4". See if for some reason the wipter blade is stuck extended,.. if so see if you can get it unstuck. Don't force anything, just be gentle.

The error you are getting is telling you that the purge unit is not giving the correct timing signal as it rotates inside 360 degrees. Therefore, something is either broken or jammed inside. If you had a paper jam and tried to forcefully pull it out, you could have pulled the internal gears out of alignment.

So if you will need to do some maneouvers to try to release the cartridge from its parking position. Dont try hard.

Now, if this does not work than it would be cheaper to buy a new printer rather than sending it to Canon for repair if its not in warranty.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO