Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My Laserjet 2600n printer is printing a stripe on the right

Customer Question

My Laserjet 2600n printer is printing a "stripe" on the right side of each page, vertically about 1/2 inch wide. Bluish in color. The four color modules are down to about 25%. If I buy new modules how can I clean the belt which has a stripe on it? also, will a new color module cure the striping on the belt once cleaned?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 years ago.
Don't wipe the belt. Cleaning the belt (whichever part of the several you might be referencing by that term) will not help with the problem.

A stripe down the full length of a page, on every printout of a laser printer, usually indicates a damaged or dirty part in the machine. Open it up, take out what can be removed (if any part is a toner cartridge-like part, esp. if there's any shiny dark-bluish-greenish or else reddish-purplish cylinder showing, don't touch that with anything, nor clean it, nor expose it to bright light or illumination for longer than a half minute per 15 minutes - keep it in the dark awhile, while examining and cleaning inside the printer.
Look at all the parts, and swab dirt or lint away with a clean fresh swab or high-quality lint-free rag of cloth, or fresh paper towel. Make sure all rollers and roller-shaped elements are undamaged and unscratched (a scratch on some roller-shaped elements in the machine can produce the image defect you are having.)

Or follow the guide at HP Support for "Cleaning your printer" that applies to your model #:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSeriesId=446153&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c00314469

And, if after that much examining nothing is found, and after that much cleaning and after you've reassembled it and tried printing again, the image defect is still there, then you need to try replacing the toner cartridge or all of them (I suppose there are three or four of them in your printer)... you will probably have to replace one of them at least, and if they are down to 1/4 capacity, it's almost time to do all of them anyway - unless ink is separate from the developer-containing cartridge that is probably the source of the problem. In which case, there might possibly be only one, and it would be non-colored. (HP's Support site is not helpful about replaceable parts for this model #, or I could be less general in my suggestions here.)

If this answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will replace the three color toner cartridges as suggested. They are obviously near empty anyway. But, the large belt exposed when door is opened has the 1/2 inch stripe near the left side when open and appears bluish in color. I'm not clear what to do about this stripe after the toner cartridges are replaced. Isn't there some acceptable way to remove the stripe after cartridges are replaced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The "belt" is on the inside of the door when opened and appears to be a page in width. 8 1/2 inches in width and as long as a page but doubled. I don't see other "belts".
If said "belt" is shiny and blueish-green or red-purple-ish, then it is the part that needs replacing... very much, if you have been polishing it. The developer drum, which is what the shiny blue-green or shiny purple-ish cylinder inside a laser printer is, is sensitive to touch, scratching, chemicals, fingers, tools, and light...and anything with a trace on it like the mark on your prints, probably needs replacing if it doesn't just need cleaning of spilled toner.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Said belt is wide ( 8 1/2 inches in width) dark and shiny, without obvious scratches or marks of any kind and with 1/2 inch strip, light colored on left side when door is opened. Belt is not colored and appears shiny black. It has obviously been marked with toner either blue or cyano in the stripe described. Replacing said belt would be a major repair in my estimation. I'm not sure that you're seeing the inside door of this HP Laserjet 2600n printer?

en

No, I haven't got one in front of me. All the views I can get on the Internet are of the outside.

Shiny black, with toner on it in a band... and the width of a page. Replace the cyan or blue toner cartridge part at once, I say... and after *that*, clean the black cylinder also. And then see how your printer works.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Russell,

My disappointment is that you don't apparently have my particular printer in mind and are answering in a generic sense. My HP Laserjet 2600n has but one belt. About 8 1/2 inches wide. Black and shiny. I fail to see how daylight will effect the stripe which appears to be diminishing in intensity with use. I will replace the cyano cartridge and the others also. I'll also wipe the belt lightly with a clean, lint free piece of paper towel.

My thought, from what I've seen of all laser printers including a lot of HP models, is that if toner of a given color leaks onto some other part (in a band, rather than the width of the whole page) then the color cartridge is the part most likely (and rather easily) repaired. Let me know what happens, please, I'd care to hear. Thanks.