Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience

My brothers MFC-240C fax componant keeps giving me a busy signal.

My brothers MFC-240C fax componant keeps giving me a busy signal. I cannot recieve either. Have checked all the connections and all is well there. Do not know what else to do. Everything else works great .

I thank you in advance for your assistance. I love my fax machine and use it a lot.
Darlene Garza @XXX@XXXXXX.XXX , should you need to email me
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Is this only happening when sending?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, can not recieve either, busy signal also. Thank you for your speedy reply and will be looking for your answer . Paris 263
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
  1. Verify if your Brother machine has a dial tone. For more information, please refer to "How can I verify if my Brother machine has a dial tone?".

1. If there is dial tone, continue to STEP 5.

2. If there is no dial tone, verify the telephone line cord is connected from the jack(socket) on the Brother machine labeled LINE directly to the WALL jack(socket). If there are splitters, commshare devices, power strips or surge protectors between the wall jack(socket) and the Brother machine, please remove them. Removing the device that is connected between the wall jack(socket) and Brother machine assists in determining if the problem (no dial tone) is related to the device or the Brother machine.

If the line connection does not require any changes, continue to STEP 2.

If the line connection required a correction, connect the line cord correctly and then try to listen for a dial tone. If there is a dial tone, continue to STEP 5. If there is still no dial tone, continue to STEP 2.

Note

To protect your investment against power surges and lighting, Brother strongly recommends that you connect your machine to a surge protector. In particular we suggest that you use a surge protector that is compatible with both standard AC power cords and telephone line cords. Surge protectors equipped with telephone jacks (sockets) will assist in insulating your machine from any power surge that might travel through a telephone line.

1. Verify the date and time is displayed on the LCD.

1. If the date and time show on the display, continue to step 3.

2. If the LCD displays an error message, refer to the necessary solution for the message that is appearing on the LCD.
    3. If the display is blank:

-i. Verify the power cord is connected to the AC power outlet. If the power cord is not connected plug the cord directly into a known working outlet

-ii. If the power cord is connected to a sure protector or power switch, remove the cord from that device and connect it directly to the outlet

-iii. If the display is still blank verify the machine is powered ON. The machine has an ON/OFF or POWER SAVE key located on the control panel.
  1. (For some countries)
    Change the TONE/PULSE setting by following the instructions listed below:
    *If your Brother machine has a touchscreen, please follow the steps of "For Touchscreen models" below.

1. Press the Menu or Menu/Set key.
    2. Press the up or down arrow key until Initial Setup appears on the LCD and then press OK or Menu/Set.
    3. Press the up or down arrow key until Tone/Pulse appears and then press OK or Menu/Set.
    4. Press the up or down arrow key until your selection appears (TONE or PULSE) and then press OK or Menu/Set.
    5. Press Stop/Exit.

<For Touchscreen models>
    1. Press MENU.
    2. Press up or down arrow key to display Initial Setup. Press Initial Setup.
    3. Press up or down arrow key to display Tone/Pulse. Press Tone/Pulse.
    4. Press Pulse (or Tone).
    5. Press Stop/Exit.
  1. If there is still no dial tone, remove the telephone line cord from the wall jack(socket) and connect a known working extension phone with a known working telephone line cord to the same wall jack(socket). Lift the handset of the telephone and listen for a dial tone.

1. If the telephone does not have dial tone, the issue is related to the phone line or wall jack(socket). Contact the local telephone company for assistance.
    2. If the telephone has a dial tone, disconnect the telephone line cord from the telephone and connect it to the jack(socket) on the Brother machine labeled LINE. Then check if your Brother machine has a dial tone.
    3. If you do not hear a dial tone your machine may require service. Please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".

1. If you are having a problem sending a fax to one particular number, verify the number is XXXXX working fax number.

1. If you are using a DSL line, follow the steps listed below. If you are not using a DSL line skip to Step 7.

1. Turn off the DSL modem or disconnect its power supply.

2. Disconnect the DSL modem from the telephone line filter.

3. Remove the filter from the wall jack(socket).

4. Connect the FAX machine to the wall jack(socket).

5. Test by sending a fax. If the fax is sent successfully you'll need to contact your DSL provider for assistance in resolving the interference from the DSL system. If the problem continues continue to Step 7.

Note

If you are unable to perform the troubleshooting steps listed below, please contact your DSL provider for assistance.

1. If you are using Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP), (a technology that allows you to make telephone calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analog) phone line, review the information listed below. If you are not using VoIP continue to Step 8.

Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is not a marketed feature of your Brother machine, however there is a compatibility setting available with this machine that may assist with sending and receiving faxes when using VoIP. Adjusting this setting lowers the baud rate (modem speed) and turns ECM (Error Correction Mode) Off. To adjust this setting follow the steps listed below:

1. Press Menu or Menu/Set => Fax => Miscellaneous => Compatibility.
    2. Select Basic.
    3. Press OK or Menu/Set. (For touchscreen models, skip this step.)
    4. Press Stop/Exit.

Note

• Basic reduces the modem speed to 9600 bps.
  • When you change the compatibility setting to Basic(for VoIP), the ECM feature is only available for color fax sending.
  1. Send a fax using the flat bed scanner glass:

1. The ADF (automatic document feeder) must be empty when faxing from the flat bed scanner glass.
    2. To send a fax using the scanner glass (flat bed), lift the document cover and then using the guidelines on the left, center the document face down on the scanner glass. Close the document cover. Press the FAX mode key located below the LCD display if it is not illuminated in green. Dial the fax number using the dial pad and then press Black(Mono) Start or Color(Colour) Start.

* If you are sending a single page and pressed Start, press 2 (For touchscreen models, press No) or Start again. The MFC will begin to dial.

* If sending multiple pages and you pressed Start, press 1 (For touchscreen models, press Yes), lift the document cover, remove the first document and place the second page on the scanner glass. Press OK or Menu/Set. (For Touchscreen models, press Black (Mono) Start.) The Brother machine starts scanning the second document. (Repeat this procedure for each additional page). When all documents have been scanned press Start and the machine will begin to dial.

1. Sending a fax using the ADF (automatic document feeder):

1. Before placing your document(s) in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF), verify the LCD displays the date and time. Place a document in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF). Verify the LCD changes to "Enter Fax No.".(The message may vary depending on your Brother machine.) If the display changes, continue to STEP 10.
    2. If the display continues to show the date and time, verify the documents are between 11.7 and 8.5 inches wide and 5.8 and 17 inches long. If the document is less than 5.8 inches wide, the document sensors will not "sense" the document and the fax machine will not transmit. The document must be wide enough to reach the sensors to inform the machine there is a document to send. You will need to use a wider sheet of paper. If the paper meets the specifications and the LCD remains on date and time when a document is placed in the ADF your machine may require service. Please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".
  1. If you are using access numbers for calling cards, long distance security codes, pressing 9 to access the outside line, etc. and a pause is required between the dialing of those numbers and the fax number press the Redial/Pause key when needed. The Redial/Pause key will insert a 3.5 second pause between numbers. You can press Redial/Pause as many times as need to increase the length of the pause.
  1. When sending a fax manually, make sure you wait to hear the fax tones of the receiving fax unit before pressing the Black(Mono) Start or Color (Colour)Start key.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated

Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience