Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices

have a brother MFC-6490CW printer scanner fax. Yesterday, all of a sudden, it started printing out the text in yellow instead of black, whether I receive a fax or print something out, it doesn't print in black ink. I have changed the black ink cartridge and replaced it with a new one. All of the color cartridges are full. I have run the "cleaner" mode on the machine. I have checked the contrast setting, it is on "automatic", I switched it to "dark" it still didn't help.Any ideas? PLEASE HELP
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 6 years ago.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then the print head will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Before I got your answer the printer starting printing normally again for a half a dozen or so faxes I received. Then all of a sudden it quit printing entirely. By that I mean it would print out a piece of paper but it would be blank with nothing on it. I did what you recommended and it didn't help. I went and bought a new printer (same make and model) because my business depends upon being able to receive faxes. I would still like to figure out what is wrong with thisd one though.

Sounds like the print head needs to be replaced then.