Josh, Technician
Experience:  I work for a HP authorized repair center.

My hp officejet 5510 all-in-one (printer, fax, scanner, copier)

My hp officejet 5510 all-in-one (printer, fax, scanner, copier) is leaving a message "Error: Incorrect color cartridge installed." I have not installed any toner cartridges. The color cartridge #57 is in the left position and the black cartridge #56 is in the right position. This message just appeared when I turned the copier on. I've looked in the book for this copier and there is no mention of this error.

First I would remove the cartridges and clean the contacts with some alcohol. If it doesn't clear up then:

There is only two things that could be causing this to happen.

1) The print head is bad and needs replaced.

2) You have installed a faulty cartridge.

3) You actually did put in the wrong cartridge

Obviously, number 3 is out of the question, so I would move to the second option. Take the cartridge back to where you got it and tell them it is defective. If it still doesn't work you need to order a new print head directly from hp.

Sorry there isn't a simple fix

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much does a print head cost? Also my manual says to NOT use alcohol to clean the print cartridge.
Not the cartridge, the contacts on the back. I just looked up the head and it costs as much as a whole new printer ($128) sorry.