Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems
383181

I have a HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series wireless printer which

I have a HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series wireless printer which is hooked for wireless printing with my desktop and 2 laptop computers. I have installed new printer cartridges in the printer. Often when I try to print something I receive an error message on the printer which says "Ink system failure. Please turn printer off then on. After I have done this it still won't print and I get the same error message. Can you tell me how to fix this problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

I think there is a error code along with this error message which will indicate what to fix and how. Something like 0x024095 or some other number...

Can you give me the error code as well to proceed further...?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only thing it says is "ink system failure. Turn printer off the on". I have tried this and then try to print and get the same error message. There is no error code or number. What now
Okay. This seems to be an issue with incorrectly placed cartridges.

Make sure the cartridges are installed correctly

1. Turn on the product
2. Lift the cartridge access door to open it.
3. To remove the cartridge, press the tab on the front of the cartridge to release it, and then remove it from the slot.
NOTE: Do not leave the cartridges outside the product longer than 30 minutes. Doing so can result in damage to both the product and the cartridges.
4. Examine the vent area, which is located on top of the cartridge, next to the HP logo.
5. If an orange tab is attached to any cartridge, remove it.
6. If any of the cartridges have clogged vents, use a pin to clean the vents.
7. Using the colored shape icons for help, slide each cartridge into the correct empty slot, and then press down until the cartridge snaps firmly into place in the slot.
8. Close the cartridge access door.
9. Check the product control panel display.
* If the error message disappears, we will try printing to check the print quality.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I removed and reinstall the printers cartridges. Tried to print and received the same error message. What now??

The error message might disappear after you turn off the product and turn it on again. After you make any adjustments to the cartridges or the printhead, reset the product in order for the error message to clear completely. Follow these steps to reset the product.

1. Press the Power button to turn off the product.
2. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
3. Wait 30 seconds.
4. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
5. Turn on the product by pressing the power button.

If the previous steps did not resolve the problem, the printhead might be installed incorrectly, or there might be ink or debris on the printhead electrical contacts. Follow these steps to check and clean the printhead.

Step one: Remove the printhead
1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
2. Open the cartridge access door.
3. To remove each cartridge, press the tab on the front of the cartridge to release it and remove it from the slot.
4. Lift the latch handle on the carriage until it stops.
5. Lift the printhead straight up to remove it.

Step two: Clean the printhead
There are three areas of the printhead that need to be cleaned: the plastic ramps on both sides of the ink nozzles, the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts, and the electrical contacts. Follow these steps to clean the printhead.
CAUTION: Do not touch the ink nozzles. Do not touch the electrical contacts with your finger. Use only cleaning materials to touch the electrical contact areas.

1. Gather the following cleaning materials:
* Several clean, lint-free cloths or papers. Coffee filters and glass-cleaning cloths work well.
* Distilled or bottled water. Do not use tap water, because it can contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.
2. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth.
3. Use the damp cloth to wipe the electrical contacts from the bottom to the top. Do not go past the edge between the electrical contacts and the ink nozzles. Repeat this motion until no ink remains on the electrical contacts.
4. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe any accumulated ink and debris from the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts.
5. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe the plastic ramps on both sides of the ink nozzles. Wipe away from the nozzles only.
6. Dry the previously cleaned areas with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth before proceeding to the next step.
7. Lightly dampen a fresh, clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water.
8. Clean the electrical contacts inside the product by wiping them from top to bottom. Repeat this motion until no ink remains on the electrical contacts.
9. Dry the area with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth.

Step three: Reinstall the printhead
1. Raise the latch handle, and then reinsert the printhead.
2. Carefully lower the latch handle before reinserting the cartridges.
NOTE: Leaving the latch handle raised can result in incorrectly seated cartridges and printing issues. The latch must remain down to install the cartridges correctly.
3. Using the colored shape icons for help, slide the cartridges into their appropriate slots until they snap firmly into place in the slot.
4. Close the cartridge access door.

Check the product control panel display to see if the error message disappears.
* If the error message disappears, the issue is resolved and you do not need to troubleshoot further.
* If the error message has not disappeared, try the procedure in 'Reset the Product' again.

If the steps above did not solve the problem, replace the printhead.
Contact HP support to obtain a replacement printhead.
Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience: Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am accepting your answer but had some difficulty in following your instructions. I am probably a little dense but could not figure out how to remove the print head. I lifted the lever but could not get the print head to come out. So I quit, lowered the lever, and reinstalled the cartridges, shut the printer up and no error message appear when I tried to print. I have printed several documents and it appears to be working ok now. Don't know what action I did that solved the problem. Appreciate your attempts to help a 74 year old incompetent.
Okay... I think your problem is solved.
And
Thanks for your appreciation.

If you have further questions on this issue let me know.
Can i take this as accept...

Thanks for your time...
God Bless...