Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience

HP Officejet Pro L7590 installed . Unable to scan from the

Customer Question

HP Officejet Pro L7590 installed . Unable to scan from the printer. Removed printer and installed it again. No scan options. Have had this problem with this printer ever since I have owned it. I have contacted HP several times about this problem. I need help.
Thank you.
Carolyn
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
dop you get an error when trying to scan?
does the error show up on the computer or printer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The error message is:

No scan options available. Check your documentation.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Ok does it show up on the printer or computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The message is on the printer window on the front of the machine.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Step one: Make sure that the Digital Imaging Monitor is ready
The Digital Imaging Monitor must be running in order for the Scan To function to work. The Digital Imaging Monitor icon ( ) normally appears in the Notification area at the lower-right corner of the computer screen. The monitor is ready when a check mark appears on the icon after you start the computer.
If the Digital Imaging Monitor is in the system tray, skip to 'Step two: Populate the Destination List.'
If the Digital Imaging Monitor does not appear in the system tray, follow these steps.
  1. Click Start , and then click Run .
  2. In the Open text box, type msconfig , and then click OK .
  3. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.
  4. Search the list for HP Digital Imaging Monitor .
    If HP Digital Imaging Monitor is not on the list, the driver was not correctly installed or a custom install was used. Skip to step Three.
  5. Select the HP Digital Imaging Monitor check box.
  6. Click Apply , and then click Close .
  7. Click Restart to restart the computer.
Step two: Populate the destination list
The destination list must be populated in order for the Scan To function to work. Follow these steps to fill out the destination list.
  1. Open HP Solution Center with one of the following methods.
    • On the Windows desktop, double-click the HP Solution Center icon ( ).
    • On the taskbar, click Start , click All Programs , click HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
    If more than one HP device is installed, click the tab for the All-in-One product.
  2. Click Settings .
  3. Click Scan Settings and Preferences .
  4. Click Scan to... Setup .
  5. Click the Destination List tab.
    NOTE: Depending on the computer performance, it can take several minutes for the Front Panel Destination List to populate after you turn on the printer or computer.
    • If the Front Panel Destination List contains valid scan destinations, you need to reinstall the software.Skip to step three
    • If the Front Panel Destination List is empty, continue with this procedure.
  6. Click each program to include on the Scan To list.
  7. Click the Add arrow.
  8. Click OK .
  9. Scan a document using the Scan To button on the front panel.
    • If the scan fails, try to scan using the HP Solution Center Scan button.
    • If the scan still fails, continue to 'Step three: Uninstall and reinstall the software.'
Step three:
Uninstall the software
  1. Unplug the USB cable connecting the product to the computer.
    CAUTION: Do not reconnect the USB cable until the on-screen instructions prompt you when you reinstall.
  2. Click Start , click Control Panel , and then double-click Add or Remove Programs .
  3. In the list of installed programs, click the HP product, and then click Remove .
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software removal.
    NOTE: If asked to remove shared files, click No . Other programs that use these files might not work if you delete the files.
Reinstall the software
  1. Turn the product on.
  2. Open a new window to browse to the Select Software and Drivers page:
    1. Right-click this link, Select Software and Drivers , and then click Open in New Window .
    2. If prompted, type your product number. You might also need to click it in a list of similar products.
    3. Click your operating system. (If you do not know, click Start, right-click My Computer on the menu, and then click Properties .)
      The Select Software and Drivers page opens.
  3. Click the Full Feature Software and Drivers option.
  4. Click Download only . This option allows you to install the software at any time after the download completes.
  5. Click Save , and then browse to the location on your computer where you want to save the file.
  6. Click Save . The software downloads to your computer.
  7. When the download is complete and you are ready to install the files, click Open Folder , and then click the downloaded file. The file name ends in .exe
  8. You can accept the default location to save the files. Click Next , and then wait while the installer extracts the files to prepare for installation.
  9. When the Install Wizard starts, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
    Important : If you choose a Custom type of installation (available for some products), make sure to install HP Imaging Device Functions so that you can scan from the printer. The Recommended installation type installs this feature automatically.
  10. After successful installation, scan a document.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your solution does not work. It is the same info that HP has online and HP's solution does not work. My husband spent two long, long days online with HP, event was escalated to another level and the problem was not corrected.If you were to go to HP, you would see that many, many people have the identical problem with HP AIO.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Ok since you have already tried that try this
Click start and then all programs
Click on accessories and the on paint
Click on file and then from scanner or camera
Then make any changes you want and click on scan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Paint is an application from Microsoft and is a DRAWING PROGRAM. Do not want to scan using Paint; I want to scan using the software that came with the AIO. The printer has scanned previoulsy using HP software using Windows XP Professional for the OS.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Ok I am only trying to help you, you have not tried that to even tell me if there is an error when you try. So I am going to opt out and open this tfor all experts. Hopefully someone else will decide to help you with your problem.