John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Canon MP530 Printer and it will not print. the copy

I have a Canon MP530 Printer and it will not print. the copy & alarm lights flash & the Check Printer 5C00 code is blinking..........what is the problem? Can I fix it or do I need to take it somewhere...........or is it less expensive to purchase a new one???
Thank you.
Sandy
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Jhon Cappuccio, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

This error code refers to a paper jam. Please follow the steps below:

Issue: ERROR LCD: Error Code 5C00

Solution: Removing paper jams MP530

Removing Obstructions or Jammed Paper

ASF / Paper Output Slot

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Remove paper from the ASF.

3. Gently pull the jammed paper out.
  1. If paper is visible from the ASF, use both hands to pull the paper out slowly.
  2. If paper is visible from the paper output slot, use both hands to pull the paper out slowly.

1. If the paper tears and a piece of that remains inside the printer, open the scanning unit (printer cover) and remove the paper from inside the printer.

Note: Be careful not to touch the components inside the printer.

2. Turn on the printer and confirm that the Alarm light is off.
    (If the jammed paper remains in the printer, the paper may be automatically ejected.)

3. Load paper back into the ASF.

4. Press <OK> to clear the message and continue printing. If you are printing from an application software, follow the instructions displayed on your computer.

Paper jams inside the printer

1. Turn off the printer and disconnect the power cord and USB cable.

2. Remove the jammed paper slowly using the following procedure.

3. Open the rear cover to check if the paper is jammed.

4. Pull out the cassette and check if the paper is jammed inside the cassette area.

5. Stand the printer with the rear side down, holding the document cover.

6. Press the tabs together and pull the green cover toward you.

7. Check if the paper is jammed.
    (If you were not doing Duplex printing, you do not have to follow this procedure.)

8. Close the green cover and place the printer back to a normal position.

9. Reconnect the power cord and power on the printer. Confirm the Alarm light is off.

10. Load paper back into the ASF or cassette.

11. Press <OK> to clear the message and continue printing. If you are printing from an application software, follow the instructions displayed on your computer.

Clearing credit card-sized paper jammed inside the printer

Credit card-sized and 4" x 6" sized paper must be loaded properly. If this media is not loaded properly, it will feed into the printer and will not exit. Credit card-sized paper should only be loaded in the ASF and in portrait orientation. 4" x 6" sized paper can be loaded in the ASF or cassette. But must be loaded portrait orientation.

If credit card-sized paper was loaded in landscape orientation in the ASF and did not eject (exit), please follow this procedure.

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Load the same paper type that is jammed inside the printer in portrait orientation.

3. Power on the printer.
    The paper stock in the ASF will automatically feed the jammed paper from the printer.

4. To resume printing, load the paper in portrait orientation.

If 4" x 6" sized paper was loaded in landscape orientation in the cassette and did not eject (exit), please follow this procedure.

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Open the rear cover.

3. Fold in four a piece of letter-sized plain paper.

4. Push in the folded paper until it hits the jammed paper.

5. If the jammed paper is visible from inside the printer area, pull it out and proceed to step 7.

6. If the jammed paper cannot be pulled out, push in the folder paper from the rear so the jammed paper is in between the feed rollers.

7. Pull out the folded paper and close the rear cover.

8. Power on the printer and confirm that the Alarm light is off.
    The jammed paper should automatically eject.

9. To resume printing, load the paper in portrait orientation.

FortCollins, please let me know if it worked.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio

* * * Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. * * *

Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no paper jam...............
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Turn it off and unplug the power cord FROM the printer (it possible). Wait 60 seconds and plug it back.

If no luck, I am afraid your printer requiere repair.

For technical support, please call 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time, excluding holidays).

They will ask you the following info:
  • Product model name and serial number.
  • Computer's operating system; for example Windows XP.
  • Message displayed when the problem occurred.
  • Steps you've already done to try to solve the problem.

Let me know if yo have any other question or comments.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance................it did not work.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
:(

I am afraid your printer requiere repair.

They will ask you the following info:
  • Product model name and serial number.
Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.