Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices

My Dell A940 All -in-one will not print black and white. It

Customer Question

My Dell A940 All -in-one will not print black and white. It will print in color. I have changed the cartridges several times. There are no error messages. The printer is not under warranty. I would buy another one, but I have $120 worth of cartridges I recently purchased and I doubt I can sell them or return them because they are all opened since I was trying to find out if the printer was working. What should I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 6 years ago.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then the print head will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. Thank you for that input. I cleaned the print heads (I think they are the print heads) as per your instructions. I also changed the ink cartridge. And I was able to print a little bit in black. However, the print is faded and smudged in some areas. This the same problem I was having prior to yesterday when it stopped printing black altogether. Does this mean will need a new print head, and if so, how can I have this replaced? I tried to take apart my printer yesterday but even after unscrewing almost everything, it doesn't come apart so I doubt I can do this myself.

What do you suggest?

Sounds like you need a new printhead. If it's still available you'll have to contact the manufacturer directly to receive a replacement.

Robert Preston
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thank you.
No problem.