John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have MP160 that says the ink absorber is full . Printer/scanner

I have MP160 that says the "ink absorber is full". Printer/scanner will no longer work.
I have tried a "fix" I found online but it does not help. Do you have a suggestion for what I can do. Thanks.
Hello, I am Jhon Cappuccio, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

That's a "normal" issue on Canon printers. Canon will change the absorber for free if your printer is still on Warranty. If it isn't they usually charge $10.

See the information below:

Solution: Ink Absorber Replacement Options

This printer has an ink absorber that takes in ink during the printing and print head cleaning processes. The cleaning process is necessary in order to keep the print head nozzles from becoming clogged. Over the life of the printer, the amount of ink that the ink absorber has absorbed is calculated by the printer. Eventually, after substantial use, the printer will enter an error condition when the ink absorber is nearly full. At this point, printing is still possible by pressing the button on the printer. To protect the printer from damage, you will not be able to print at all once the ink absorber is full.

Canon recommends having the printer serviced before the absorber becomes full. We are aware that there are many "do-it-yourself" Web sites that offer instructions for making this repair. Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure. Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset. Be aware that if you attempt this procedure, it is at your own risk.
If you feel your product might require service, a Technical Support Representative will be happy to answer any questions you may have and explain the service options available to you. You can contact us through the email link or phone numbers listed below.

• For toll-free technical support, please call 1(NNN) NNN-NNNNduring regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays).?
• Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired is available Monday - Saturday (excluding holidays) at 1-866-251-3752?
• Technical Support is available for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON

If your printer is no longer under warranty :
• For toll-free technical support, please call 1(NNN) NNN-NNNNduring regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays). Pay for support is required on all units outside their original warranty, unless covered by a Canon Extended Service Plan. The charge will be $9.99. If it is determined that there is a hardware failure, you have the option to purchase a new or refurbished product from our current product line, which includes units with Canon?s new ChromaLife inks, PIXMA Technology, a limited manufacturer?s warranty, free next business day shipping and discounted pricing. If you elect to take this option, the pay for support charge will be canceled.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
If you found my answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.
Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Jhon Cappuccio on 12/31/2009 at 9:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had already found this exact same information on the internet myself in a matter
of minutes. I have to believe you were able to find it in much less time than that so
I would rather pay the $9.00 of the $15.00.
Hello. If the ink absorber is full you have to service the printer to get the absorber replaced. We can't do anything else.

Thank you and Happy 2010! Laughing

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. I agree to the $9.00 charge. Thanks.