Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

i have a ricoh aficio mp c2500, and cannot get it to scan to

Customer Question

i have a ricoh aficio mp c2500, and cannot get it to scan to my computer. printing from the computer to the printer works fine--it's that the printer cannot find the computer. everything worked fine yesterday until i upgraded to windows 7, and had to reinstall my antivirus software (ESET.) i turned off the firewall in ESET, and Windows firewall is off. any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
Scanning is almost always firewall-irrelevant - you can/may (and should) re-enable the firewall by all means.

What sort of software did you use for the scanning/control?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the ricoh printer is a business-grade color printer/scanner/copier. It has its own ip address on my network. the software is hardwired in the printer, i believe. at least, i don't use any external software for it. i go to the printer, enter scan, select the user (me), and scan my document. it then sends it through the switch, to the computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i can adjust the settings either directly at the printer, or through the computer by entering the ip address in my web browser. the settings control which folder to send the scan to, and the configuration settings.
It is possible that you need to check on each of those configuration settings... given that the Ricoh is located as a IP address entity on the LAN, and is found by its IP address, it is possible that the computer it is scanning "to" is also specified by an IP address identity - in which case, unless one has deliberately set up the PC (and the network) to have an invariant (fixed) IP address, then its IP address may have changed, in which case the printer, when a scan was initiated, would be trying to "send to" the wrong (or, a non-existent) location.
So check the internal settings, especially the target IP address of the computer to scan To, along with the current IP setting/identity of the target PC (you can tell which IP Address the target PC has, by going to the target PC, opening a Command Prompt window, entering
ipconfig
and record the entry labeled, "IP Address". That would be the current IP address identity on the LAN of the target PC.

If this answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for the further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will check the ip address now. is it the ipv4 address? or the default gateway address (under the ipconfig listing)?
NO, NOT the default gateway address... that would be the address of your LAN's local router or switch, in all likelihood.
YES, it would be the ipv4 address (192.168.1.101 or the like) in 4 number groups separated by three periods or dots.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
had to reboot--sorry for the delay.
(That's fine... but I will be logged off for the evening soon. Regrets... I will be back again to help in about 14 hours elapsed time or so, I hope.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still the same. the ip address of the computer did not change when i installed windows 7, so i did not have to change the destination ip address on the scanner. the scanner still cannot find the computer. does windows 7 have increased security features that would cause this?
That is a good question, possibly so. But the first logical thing to try doing is, updating drivers for Windows 7 - esp. with attention to the TWAIN driver (the one usually associated with scanning operations) - available for download from this link:
http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/rc2/model/mpc25/mpc25en.htm

Install that on the computer, reboot it and then restart the printer, and try again, I would advise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi russell,
i got the scanner working finally. i searched online and found a ricoh tech. support knowledge base. turns out i had to reset the shared property of the folder i was sending to, turn off "sharing wizard", enable net BIOS, and modify the rules in windows firewall.

everything seems to be working ok.

unfortunately, i won't be able to pay you, as i found the answers on my own. thanks for your help though.

Bo
I understand, and I agree - you helped yourself on this one, to a good conclusion.

I will recommend this call be closed without charge. Good wishes for the new year.