Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices
14124282

My Lexmark X73 scanner stopped working, even though the printer

Customer Question

My Lexmark X73 scanner stopped working, even though the printer works. The scanner control program, when I click Scan-to-file says the scanner could not be initialized. Tried reboots, power cycles, plug / unplug the USB connector. Sometimes that message doesn't appear, the Scanning bar appears but never moves (and 'the program is not responding' comes up when clicking the 'X' after a long wait).

I'm guessing some driver part got overwritten, so I did let the system automatically load a driver (which it found somewhere) .. but no change in behaviour.

I seem to have lost my original CD to start all over again with a re-install. Is there another way?

Gary
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 4 years ago.

Turn the printer off

Uninstall it and all software

Restart your computer

Download the latest driver here:
Click Here

Install that & you should be good to go.

Thanks,
Robert Preston
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had already done that last week. It seemed to confuse printer functionality, creating a copy 1 and even a copy 2 (which I deleted). But I did get both Lexmark or its copy1 printer to work. Just not the scanner.

When you say uninstall the printer (and all software) can you be more specific? There seems no clear way to uninstall the scanner component, which seems to be the problem.

Failing that, any idea what the .dll s are that should be hunted and destroyed?

Gary
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since you're having trouble answering my reply, I'll try to be clearer. Just as you suggested, I had sought out a new instal of drivers, and found the zipped file named CJXP73LE (I think through Cnet) : it is dated December 15 on my computer - when I got it.

The former LEXMARK install was undone with the "Remove Lexmark X73" process included under Lexmark x73's icon within "All Programs" (i.e. in C:\Program Files), removing even a copy that I'd installed in the troubleshooting. It seemed to work, as even the Control panel's Add or Remove Programs did not show a Lexmark item.

Unpacking and launching the above fresh file went through the expected steps of installation, and the printer tested fine. But on bringing up the Scan & Copy Control Program and selecting Scan to File, the usual behaviour was to produce a blue pamel (with only 'cancel') entitled Lexmark X73 USB and a filler-bar which never starts filling-in, and the scanner mechanism does not start (though the light is on). Clicking the 'X' to terminate this process produces "Program not responding" and I can identify the process as Artcopy55 MFC Application.

Occasionally instead of going straight to the process (Lexmark X73 USB) window, it produces the immediate message "Could not enable the scanner" - with zero information. One time, after disconnect of the USB and with power off on the printer, replugging the USB caused it to seek a driver automatically, and then an indication that LXARDRV.dll was wanted. I redirected it to the Drivers/English folder where installed, and it seemed happy. But still no response from the scanner, which was working fine two weeks ago until my daughter thought she needed to reinstall the printer driver.

To check on the driver / installation set included in the .zip file I installed the whole thing fresh on a good laptop where it had not resided before. Here I find exactly the same (non-responsive scanner) behaviour.

Can we be sure that CJXP73LE.zip is really uncorrupt in this regard? I'd like to try an instal from some other source if you know of one.

regards,
Gary Knight

The driver you downloaded from CNET is an old one.

Try the one I linked to before...

Rob

Edited by Robert Preston on 12/24/2009 at 1:52 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you sure? It's dated November 19 on the Lexmark site, and it has exactly the same number of bytes.

Anyway, I'll go through the motions and let you know if it makes a difference.

Gary
Ok let me know.

If that doesn't work then most likely it's a problem with the scanner or the USB cable.

Thanks,
Robert Preston