Nick
Nick, Technician
Experience:  4 years sales and technical service experience for a major retailer

Trying to print on a HP Photosmart C4480. It wont print

Trying to print on a HP Photosmart C4480. It won't print black.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nick replied 4 years ago.
Click Here to view instructions for solving your problem. You may have to run Step 1 two or three times.
Nick, Technician
Experience: 4 years sales and technical service experience for a major retailer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have rune it a couple of times. Run it again? and again? and again?
Expert:  Nick replied 4 years ago.
The other thing to try is physically cleaning the cartridge.
1) Using a cotton swab dipped in warm water to clean the golden nozzle (circled below) until the swab no longer picks up any ink stains.
graphic
2) Dry the nozzle with another cotton swab .
3) When it is completely dry, reinsert the cartridge and run the cleaning utility again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did that and am trying the cleaning utility again. I'm not sure the utility is working now.....
Expert:  Nick replied 4 years ago.
Are you positive that the cartridge has an adequate level of ink?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I printed out the test and the very tops of the letters on the first line (the large font letters) and the very tops of the last line of the test lines show black. There is no other black on the page. Utility won't work. I've shut that printer off. Will try again in a moment or so. I hate this printer and rarely use it. So I'm guessing that the black is clogged. But, will you hang in there with me just a bit longer? thx.
Expert:  Nick replied 4 years ago.
No worries, the last thing to try is a printer reset:
1) Hold the On/Off button for 1 sec. until the printer shuts off.
2) Unplug the USB cable and then the power cord.
3) Press the power button for 3 sec.
4) Wait 10 minutes, then plug the power cord back in and then the USB cable.
5) Press the power button to turn it on again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. Am trying the "no worries" instructions.
Expert:  Nick replied 4 years ago.
If you need to purchase a new printer, I would recommend the Canon brand (they have far fewer problems). The Canon MP560 is a very good alternative to HP. If you buy it at Amazon.com there is no shipping or tax charges.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We're all set. I left feedback. Accepted the charge. Thanks, j