Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

My printer gives a message incompatible ink cartridge. It

Customer Question

My printer gives a message :incompatible ink cartridge. It has been installed and I have been useing it regularly, and then one day this message popped up and I can't get rid of it or use the printer
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I can assist you with your question with a little additional information.

What is the manufacturer and model of your printer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My printer is an HP PHOTOSMARTC4600

Ok. Thank you. The first thing to do is to verify that the cartridge is making the proper contact with the printer. To do this, follow the steps below. Come back to let me know how you make out. If this doesn't work, we can do some other things.

Step one: Remove, inspect, and reseat the ink cartridge The cartridge might not have full electrical contact with the product. Removing and reinstalling the cartridge might help.

NOTE: HP cannot guarantee the quality of remanufactured or refilled cartridges.

1. Make sure that the product is turned on.
  2. Open the product cover and wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
  3. Press down lightly on the end of the cartridge to release it. Figure 1: Remove the cartridge
  4. Slide the cartridge out, and then inspect it.
    CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored electrical contacts or the ink nozzles.
    Figure 2: Do not touch the copper-colored electrical contacts or ink nozzles
    • Check the copper-colored electrical contacts for debris.
    • Make sure that all the clear protective tape has been removed.
      CAUTION:Do not attempt to remove the copper electrical strip.
      Figure 3: Remove the clear protective tape 1 - Clear protective tape
    • Examine the number on the cartridge label, and then make sure that the cartridge is compatible with the product. See the user guide, or click here see a cartridge compatibility chart .
  5. Slide the compatible cartridge back into the carriage, and then push the cartridge into place.
    • Cartridges marked with a triangle go into the left carriage slot.
    • Cartridges marked with a square or pentagon go into the right carriage slot.
    Figure 4: Slide the cartridge into the carriageFigure 5: Push the cartridge into place
  6. Try the print job again.
    • If the error message displays again, proceed to the next step.
    • If the error message disappears, stop troubleshooting, because the issue is resolved.

Step two: Clean the ink cartridge contacts and the carriage contacts

1. Gather the following items to clean the cartridge and carriage:
    • Clean, distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available. Tap water can contain contaminants that damage the cartridge.
    • Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that does not stick to the cartridges (coffee filters work well).
    • Sheets of paper or a paper towel to rest the cartridges on during cleaning.
  2. Open the product cover, and then wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
  3. Remove the cartridge, and then place it on a piece of paper with the nozzle plate facing up.
    NOTE: Clean the copper-colored electrical contacts quickly so that the print cartridge is not outside of the product for more than 30 minutes. If the print cartridge is outside of the product for too long, the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.
  4. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
  5. Dip a swab in the water and squeeze it to remove most of the moisture. The swab should be only slightly damp.
  6. Clean the copper-colored electrical contacts on the cartridge. Do not touch the ink nozzles. Figure 6: Copper-colored electrical contacts
  7. Clean the carriage contacts inside the product. Figure 7: Carriage contacts
  8. Let the cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.
  9. Reinstall the cartridge.
  10. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
  11. Close the product cover.
  12. Try the print job again.

Step three: Repeat reseating and cleaning steps If you have completed the previous steps and the issue continues, repeat Step one: Remove, inspect, and reseat the ink cartridge, and Step two: Clean the ink cartridge contacts. Step four: Replace the ink cartridge Replace the problem cartridge with a new, compatible HP cartridge. See the user guide, or click here see a cartridge compatibility chart .

1. Remove the new cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch only the black plastic, gently remove the clear protective tape by using the pink pull tab. Figure 8: Remove the clear protective tape
    CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles. Also, do not re-tape the cartridges. Doing so can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
  2. Slide the new cartridge back into the carriage, and then push the cartridge into place.
    Figure 9: Slide the cartridge into the carriageFigure 10: Push the cartridge into place
  3. Close the cartridge door.
  4. Try the print job again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It still repeats the same question, your information did not help

I'm not sure I understand. This has to be done as the first step to troubleshoot this particular problem. Each step is one toward the solution. What do you mean by "your information did not help"?

Edited by XXXXX XXXXXnigan on 11/19/2009 at 6:59 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ifollowed allyour steps and the same message is there...incompable print cartrige

Oh. Ok. That was just the first step.

Next, please try taking one cartridge out at a time, leaving one in. If the error appears only with one of them, it will narrow the problem down.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Followed your instructions and each time I took a cartridge out,the message I got was"cartridge missing" Closed everything up and nowit still says incompatable print cartridge. Then the screen told me "the cartridge is not intended for this printer" and I have used it for a few weeks, just one day, the incompatable messaage popped up.

Did you try closing it with one cartridge installed? It should work with only one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried it with only cartridge in and got the same message. After the screen popped up with nearly the same message as before, but adding " the cartridge is configured", what ever that might mean to you, pertaining to this problem.

Cartridge is configured is a good message. But I need to know, if when you put the color cartridge in alone, and close the printer, it says that. I also need to know the same for the black only cartridge.

Also if you have the opportunity, please try printing with each installed by iteself.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put 1 cartridge in, closed the door and it still says, cartridge missing. Tried the other cartridge and message the same as above. Tried printing and it says incompatable print cartridge, same as my first note said.

Here is what I need to know:

1. Does the printer print with only the color print cartridge installed?

2. Does the printer print with only the black print cartridge installed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the printer never printed with only one cartridge, as there have always been 2 cartridges installed. And as I said in my last reply to you, when I try to print with only one cartridge in, black or white, I get the message :incompatable print cartridge.
I am going to open this up to other experts who might better be able to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have waited since Nov. 20th when you told me your were going to open my question to other experts that might be able to help me. I have waited and have not received an answer to date, please reply, thank you
Your question is open to all experts.