Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer and Printer-related problems

I have a Canon PIXMA iP4000 which is a couple of years old

Customer Question

I have a Canon PIXMA iP4000 which is a couple of years old but, with exception of cleaning occasionally, has worked well. When I tried to use it last week, it said it was using a USB drive, which I never use. I tried to to change the port with no sucess. I had a copy already and tried to use it, also. The printer is on, but the Printer Status box would say "collecting printer status" or "printer is not responding". Today I reloaded the software, went through all the cleaning procedures, and everything worked--until I tried to print something. Now it's stuck on "collecting printer status", and I don't have any more tricks up my sleeve. Help!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your query.

Confirm the printer is displaying properly in Device Manager (Windows XP).
1. Click the System icon in the Control Panel dialog box.

graphic

2.In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and select 'Device Manager'.
graphic

3. When the device is recognized normally, the display is as follows.

graphic

Note: The display above is an example using the USB cable connection.

4.When Other Devices is displayed, the device is not recognized normally.
graphic

Note: When the device is not recognized normally, the problems can usually be resolved by the following procedures:

1. Right-click on the incorrect entry and select "Uninstall".
2. Turn off the printer's power, and remove the cable.
3. Turn off the computer's power, and turn on again.
4. Reinstall the printer driver.

Note: Install using the Installer of the printer driver instead of Add Printer.

5.Turn off the printer's power, remove the cable, and reinstall the printer driver.

Note: When installation cannot be performed after following the above procedures, try the following measures:

* If the computer has multiple USB ports, try using another USB port (either in the front or back of the computer).
* If another USB cable is available, try using it.
* If the printer shows up under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" with an exclamation (!) mark, right click on the printer, select "Update driver". Select "Install from a list or specific location", select "Have disk", and then browse to C:\Windows\inf\usbprint.inf. After the driver has been updated, reboot the computer.

* Boot to Safe Mode and remove any instances of the printer or Unknown Devices from the Device Manager.

Try to do and let me know if you have any further questions.

Edited by Sandeep Pamarati on 11/11/2009 at 10:01 AM EST
Still problem is exist try to do in the below option.

Press the ON/OFF button to power on the device.
The device has a <POWER> button.
1. Connect the power cord from the printer to the electrical source.
2. Press the <POWER> button.
3. Wait until the device has completed its cycling process before submitting a print request or completing installation.