Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience

My HP Photosmart D7260 printer will not print anymore. On the

Customer Question

My HP Photosmart D7260 printer will not print anymore. On the veiwer it says "Ink System Failure", and also "Error 0xc18a0306". The printhead keeps going back and forth a few times, then stops.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
This can be a few things, it could be the print head or the encoder strip needs to be replaced. Or it could just need a reset. Please try the reset first.

1. Get the unit into the “Support Menu” by following the steps below :

A. - Press and hold the “left arrow” key.
B. - Press the “Setup” key and release both keys.
Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
C. - Press and release the “OK” button.

Display should say “Support” and display the FW rev (something like R0616R)

2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”.

3. Press and release the “OK” button.

4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,

5. Press and release the “OK” button.

6. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.

7. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.

8. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.

9. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.

10. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer

11. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO XXXXX” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK. The Printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.

12. To verify printer functionality print a SELF TEST PAGE. If SELF TEST prints, then printer is ready for use or Software Installation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I couldn't get it to reset and i still have a printer that doesn't work. It did say Paper Jam, clear paper out. But there is no paper jam.I have to go out now. and leave this for another day.I'm sorry, but I'm not satisfied today, and I'll get back to you later.

Thank you, Customer

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
OK let me know when you are able to continue