Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

How do I repair an HP Photosmart C6180 with the error message

Customer Question

How do I repair an HP Photosmart C6180 with the error message oyc18a0206 Ink system Failure? I have powered on and off and replaced all ink cartridges.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

Please do this exactly as given below and let me know.

1. Unplug the printer and wait 30 seconds for power to discharge.
2. Plug in the printer.
3. Hold the CANCEL and OK buttons simultaneously, and keep them depressed while you hit the ON button. This resets the printer.
A. - Press and hold the “*” key.
B. - Press the “#” key and release both keys.
Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
C. - Press and release in sequence the “1”, “2” and “3” buttons.

Screen should say "support" R0631M

2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”.

3. Press and release the “OK” button.

4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,

5. Press and release the “OK” button.

6. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.

7. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.

8. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears.

9. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.

10. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer

11. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK. The Printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.

Now it will make some noise. Then see result.

Let me know

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid for my work.

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It worked. Tthe only difference was after step 1C, it displayed R0625M, and it never printed out a Diagnostic Page. Thanks again.
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hi !!

You are most welcome. Dont forget to leave a positive feedback CLICK HERE. (if you havent done already). Smile

Next time if you need to reach me, write FOR ANDY in your question heading and the question will reach me.