Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

hl 5140 wont print paper light is flashing and it is full

Customer Question

hl 5140 wont print
paper light is flashing and it is full of paper
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

- Which light is blinking ?... is it red or green

- How and when did this problem begun. Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge.

- When did you buy it and since when are you facing this issue. How often do you use printer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yellow paper light is blinking

red status light is on

no paper jam and I did not replace the ink cartridge

I bought the printer 2 years ago and use it everyday

worked fine until this am---the paper light was on and I filled it

I can hear it trying to pick up the paper it just doesn't pick it up

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Sorry for delay. Please do this and let me know.

1. Switch the printer off.
  2. Make sure that the front cover is closed and the power cord is plugged in
  3. Hold down the Go button as you switch the printer on. All the LEDs light up. Keep the button pressed down until the Toner LED lights. When the Toner LED lights, release the Go button.
  4. Hold down the Go button until the Yellow Status LED lights. When the status LED lights, release the Go button.
  5. When all the LED's light, the printer will start warming up. The print server has now been reset to its factory defaults.

Let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid for my work.

I will continue to help even after you click Accept.

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

still not working

now the thing doesn't make any noise at all

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Does your printer has Test Switch as shown below :

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Can you please repeat above instructions once more

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

still nothing

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Please do this and let me know.

1. Remove all paper, paper trays, toner and using a compressed air can blow up the printer internally.
2. Using a flash light take a look if you find any foreign object stuck inside.
3. Insert everything back in. Then perform the reset again as above

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no luck

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

We performed factory reset and problem still didnt go.

This problem can happen because of following reasons :
1. There is some piece of paper / paper clip / sticker stuck inside printer and you are not able to access it. You need to open it up as much you can to see if something is stuck

2. The electric sensor which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam and other sensors has issues. Either there is dust on it or its gone bad and needs replacement. You should first open up the printer and blow air in it (using compressed air can) to remove all dust. If it doesnt work then this repair might cost you much more than buying a new Printer.

Your best bet is to take quote from a local repair shop. But buying a new HP printer will surely be a better investment than spending money on this printer.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.