Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

Canon Printer MP160 flashing E (error) and 5 . Occured after

Canon Printer MP160 flashing E (error) and 5 . Occured after changing ink.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

- How and when did this problem begun. Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge.

- When did you buy it and since when are you facing this issue. How often do you use printer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed the ink cartridge and have not been able to use the printer since because of the error status. There was no paper jam prior to this. The printer is 2 years old. Not listed on the Canon web site tho from what I can see. I use the printer 2-3 times a week. This problem just happened. I;ve had and error 3 before but just need to push a button and it clears. That doesn't work now
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

1. Where did you buy the cartridge from. Is it canon branded

2. Why did you replaced old cartidge, was it empty ?

3. Do you have old cartridge with you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I purchased the cartridge from Office Max and it is a canon brand. The cartridge was empty and no I don't have the old one.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Please reinstall the cartridges and let me know.

Removing Ink Cartridges:

1. After confirming that the printer is powered on, open the scanning unit (printer cover). The ink cartridge holder moves to the replacement position.

2. Press down on the semi-circular tab to release the cartridge and then remove it.

Note: Handle the ink cartridges carefully to avoid staining clothes and surrounding work area.

3. Remove and replace each cartridge individually. Or, remove the second cartridge after the first has been removed.

4. Fold the scanning unit support and close the scanning unit (printer cover).

Installing ink cartridges:

1. After confirming that the printer is powered on, open the scanning unit (printer cover).The ink cartridge holder moves to the replacement position.

Note: After confirming that the scanning unit support is fixed into position, release your hands.

2. Take out a new cartridge from its casing and gently remove the orange protective tape in the direction of the arrow.

Note: - Do not attempt to reattach the protective tape once you have removed it.
    - Do not touch the gold electrical contacts or the print head nozzles after removing the protective tape.

3. Insert the ink cartridge into the ink cartridge holder.- Black: the left slot- Color: the right slot*

*One black cartridge and one color cartridge must be installed in the machine in order for the printer to operate. It does not matter if the capacities (Standard or High) do not match.

4. Push up on the front of the cartridge until it locks into place. (A click sound will be heard when the cartridge is locked in place.)

5. Confirm that the ink cartridges are installed properly.

<1> The ink cartridge is not installed properly.

<2> The ink cartridge is installed properly.

6. Fold the scanning unit support and close the scanning unit (printer cover).

7. Wait until the preparatory operation is complete; it takes about one to two minutes.

Let me know result.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this helped, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work.

I will continue to help even after you click Accept.

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

I saw your feedback. Please reply to this and let me know what happened.

We have more steps to do

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Andy for following up. I followed the directions to remove the cartridges and reinstal them. I turned the printer off, then on and the same things appears E 5 When lifting the cover of the printer, the cartridges moved across, but not in position to remove them . I gently touched them and they moved. This has happened in the past tho with a problem
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Please confirm that your cartridge numbers are one of these :

Color
Model
Capacity
Black
PG-40
Standard
PG-50
High capacity
Color
CL-41
Standard
CL-51
High capacity

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Black PG 40 Color PG 41. These were the original numbers when I purchased the printer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Color should be CL 41 ... are you sure its PG 41
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry color is CL41
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

There are two possibilities :
1. Either the new cartridges are defective OR
2. The printer's cartridge sensor has failed.

You should get free replacement of the cartridge from where you bought it. If problem persists than its a printer's hardware issue and it needs to be repaired. If not in warranty it will be cheaper to buy new printer.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Andy. My only question is how I can add a bonus your the original amt I authorized.