Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch, Engineer
Experience:  20 years hands-on experience in an Office equipment and computer environment.
22212791

I have a Brothers MFC-420CN its not cleaning or printing. I

I have a Brothers MFC-420CN its not cleaning or printing. I did go to the User Guide and did everything it told me too do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Carl Poersch replied 4 years ago.

are you receiving any error messages on the printer or on your pc? please give me the EXACT message.

Also please describe in more detail what exactly the problem is. I understand it is not printing or cleaning, but tell me the process you are trying and where it stops...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay young man, I was using my Brother MFC-F420CN Printer / Fax here in my office and the paper backed up into the printer when it completed its printing phase. I stopped it from going further into the machine due to other copies coming out.

when that happened the display screen read; "Unable to Clean" See Troubleshooting and routine Maint. chapter in user guide. In the user guide it states (CAUSE) the MFC has a mechanical problem or a foreign obstacle, such as a clip or ripped paper, is in the MFC.

ACTION: Open the scanner cover and remove any foreign obstacle from inside the MFC. If the error message continue please follow the steps below before disconnecting the MFC so you will not lose any important messages.

Then, disconnectthe MFC from the power source for several minutes and then reconnect it.

I done that and still on the display screen it tells me its "unable to Clean"

assist me young man!

Hello Sir....

thanks for the detailed description. it will let me better help you.

Here is a much more detailed process to assist you. It has helpful photos and diagrams. You most likely still have a small piece of paper or debris somewhere.

Follow the first process, and if still an issue, then the more detailed jam detection process...

If the message persists, reply to me...

Best of Success--

Carl

"How do I clear the message Unable to..." ( "Unable to Change" "Unable to Clean" "Unable to Init" "Unable to Print" "Unable to Scan" )?

Description:

The message "Unable to -" ( "Unable to Change" "Unable to Clean" "Unable to Init" "Unable to Print" "Unable to Scan" ) is a general message and may appear for different reasons.

To clear the message, you need to disconnect the Brother machine from the power outlet to check the machine. As a first step before you start to follow the steps to clear the message, we recommend you check if the machine has faxes in its memory following the steps below:

Note

If the LCD displays "Machine Error 46", the ink absorber pad is full and needs replacing. Please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".

Step1: Check if the machine has faxes in its memory

Note

In order to transfer data from your fax machine to another, you must have the station ID programmed in your fax machine.

1.Transfer the Fax Journal Report

1. Press Menu/Set or Menu on the Control Panel of the machine.
  2. Press the up or down navigation key until Service appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu.
  3. Press the up or down navigation key until Data Transfer appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu.
  4. Press the up or down navigation key until Report Trans appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu.
  5. The LCD will prompt you to enter a fax number. Enter the number of the fax that you want to receive and print the report. Press Black(Mono) Start.

2.Verify and Transfer faxes in memory

4. Press the up or down navigation key until Fax Transfer appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu.
  5. If there are no faxes saved in memory, NO DATA will appear on the LCD. Continue to Step 3. If faxes are present, the LCD will prompt you to enter a fax number. Enter the number of the fax that you want to receive and print the faxes. Press Black(Mono) Start .

3.Reset the machine
After the Fax Journal Report and faxes in memory have been transferred to another fax machine, disconnect the Brother machine from the power source for several minutes and then reconnect it.

Step2: To clear the message follow the steps listed below:

1. Check for foreign objects, such as a paper clip or scrap of paper, inside the machine.
    Disconnect the machine from the power outlet and open the scanner cover by pulling up on the lower right corner of the cover. Look inside the machine and remove any foreign objects. If you see jammed paper or another item inside this area, gently pull it out and then close the scanner cover securely.

2. If the error continues to appear, the machine may have a mechanical problem.
    If the error message continues to appear, the machine will need to be reset. Resetting the machine will erase all faxes in memory and the Fax Journal Report. Please make sure you have followed the instructions in the Step1.

3. If the error still continues to appear, move the print head and examine under the print head.

NOTE : The images shown below are from the representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.

3-1.Disconnect the Brother machine from the poweroutlet.
3-2.Open the scanner cover by pulling up on the lower right corner of the cover.

3-3.Check the print head’s position.
In the example photo the print head is positioned at the left hand side of the platen area.

3-4.Gently move the print head to the center.

Caution

Be careful to not force the print head to move.

If the print head is positioned at the far right hand side, you cannot move it. Please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".

3-5.Examine under the print head. If anything is found, remove it.

Hint

Use a flashlight if necessary to check thoroughly.

3-6.Close the cover and reconnect the machine to the power outlet.

If the message continues to appear on the LCD, the machine will require repair.

Please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".

SECOND PROCESS

How can I clear the "PAPER JAM" or "PRINTER JAM" error message?

Description:

Before you can clear a "PAPER JAM" or "PRINTER JAM" error, you must locate where in the unit the paper is jammed.

First, unplug the machine for safety and disconnect the telephone line. Next, follow these instructions based on where the paper jam is located.

Paper is jammed inside the paper tray:

1. Pull the paper tray out of the machine.
  1. Pull out the jammed paper to remove it.
  1. Reload the paper in the paper tray.

2. Reinstall the paper tray.

Paper is jammed inside the machine:

1. Remove the jam clear cover on the back of the unit. Pull the jammed paper out of the machine.
  1. Re-insert the jam clear cover.

2. If you can not pull out the jammed paper, lift the scanner cover from the right-hand side of the machine until it locks securely into the open position.

3. Remove the jammed paper.

4. Check the print head's position. In the example photo the print head is positioned at the left hand side of the platen area.

5. Gently move the print head to the center.

Note

6. Examine under the print head. If anything is found, remove it.

Note

7. Lift the scanner cover to release the lock. Gently push the scanner cover support down and close the scanner cover.

8. Reconnect the power cord and telephone line.

Note

To prevent paper jams, do not put multiple kinds of paper in the paper tray at the same time.

If the message continues to appear on the LCD, the machine will require repair. Please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".

Edited by Carl Poersch on 10/8/2009 at 11:19 PM EST
Carl Poersch, Engineer
Experience: 20 years hands-on experience in an Office equipment and computer environment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well my friend you have been very helpful and kind. its still not working. i will just have to see if one of my Attny friends can assist me tomorrow. I have tried to do what you instructed me to do. Anyways I'm close to retiring from my Attny Practice I dont need to deal with these types of B.S. you know what I mean.

thanks Buddy!