Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I have a HP 1040 fax and it does not print, it has worked fine

Customer Question

I have a HP 1040 fax and it does not print, it has worked fine since new and is a little more that a year old. It goes through the motins like it is printing but no ink goes on the paper. I have put in a new cartridge as wel as tried the old one again, I also did the self test and unplugged it for 10 minutes or so.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Very sorry for the delay.

When you send a fax to someone, does that person receives it fine ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

When you get a fax, does it gets printed or is it totally blank ?

Also, when your fax tries to print something, does the paper comes out at one go ... or does it behaves as if its printing something ... and paper is totally blank ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
totally blank, yes it behaves as it is printing and paper is totally blank
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi !!

Please do this and let me know result.

Please remove all cartridges. Using a moist cloth clean the golden contacts on cartridge as well as printer. DO NOT touch nozzle of cartridge. Dont insert the cartridge yet.

Please do this :
1. Remove the power cable from printer. Remove the USB cable that connects printer to computer (remove it from printer as well as computer's usb port)
2. Press the printer power button and keep pressed for 3 minutes then release
3. Now plug in the power cable and usb cable (connect printer to computer) and power on the printer.

Then plug in cartridge.

Now see if its working fine. Let me know !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a fax not a computer printer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

I know its a fax ... very sorry for the typing mistake ... :-)

These instructions are for your Fax dont worry

Let me know !!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have removed the power supply and the cartridge but there is no power button to push.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Sorry for the delay. I had to leave at 11pm yesterday night.

Please let me know when you are back.

Also, there has to be a power switch (if not a push button). Turn off that button.

Let me know !!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Andy there is no on/off anything. I have reviewed the user guide as well as looked at every side of the machine.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Please press the green button (start) instead of power button.

Let me know !!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It did start trying to print but it is very light and only in the center 5 or 6" of the page.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Do you get any error message or blinking lights on the fax ?

Please print a test page and let me know result.

1. Turn on the product.
  2. Load paper into the paper tray.
  3. Press the Menu button.
  4. Press the left arrow button until Tools displays on the control panel screen.
  5. Press the Start/Enter button.
  6. Press the left arrow button until Self Test displays on the control panel screen.
  7. Press the Start/Enter button.
  8. Examine the Self Test page.

Let me know !!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No error messages, and on the self test it printed ver light and has a blank line through the middle of the type. So I can't read it all but if I just read the numbers and results they are as follows.
1 Something line test OK
2 Shading test OK
3 Modam test OK
4 Cartridge test
Head Test Results OK
Ink Level looks like 8 / 8
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

In that case there are only two possibilities :

1. Your new ink cartridges are faulty. Make sure you are using original HP branded cartridges.

2. Your fax machines's Ink System is malfunctioning and so it is not sending the right signals to the cartridge to print on paper.

So if this printer is in warranty, send it to HP for free repair. Else first get free replacement of cartridge from where you bough it and that will confirm if its a cartridge or fax issue.

If its a fax machine issue and if not in warranty it would be cheaper to buy a new Fax than repairing this one from HP.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will pick up a new cartridge today and let you know. Thanks, Bill
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Sure, take your time.