Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

When I turn the printer on it says"an error has occurred, turn

When I turn the printer on it says"an error has occurred, turn printer off and wait a few seconds, when I turn it back on it says the same thing again and again. This started happening after I was told to turn off the power to undo a paper jam. The computer has a message about losing a device and that I should have done something on the computer before I turned the power off the the device (PRINTER?) I am using a MAC. HELP!!!!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

- What is make and model of printer. Do you use printer wirelessly ?

- How and when did this problem begun. Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge.

- When did you buy it and since when are you facing this issue.How often do you use printer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The printer is an Epson Artisan 800. Yes, there was a paper jam and we removed all the paper that was jammed. We bought this printer at Best Buy in 2008. Its a very nice quality printer and I use it all the time for documents and occasionally a picture or two. I noticed that a few days ago for the first time I would get a message before I was going to print off a paper that it said do not open scanner something sooomething, I never saw this before. It would appear on the screen before I was trying to print off something. other then that, I dont know what is causing this to happen. Before when I was turning on the machine it would automatically go to the home page where you can pick what you want it to do. Now the Epson word is what appears and then it goes right to an error has occured.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

What is the status of the LED lights (all of them) on printer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Everything on the touch panel is blinking including the on icon. I also tried re-installing the printer start-up disk but no luck. It said"cannot communicate with the scanner. With the computer off the printer still will not work and all the lights on the touch panel blink and it still says "An error has occurred. Turn off the power. wait a few seconds, and turn on the power. For details, see your documentation." When I do this, it just keeps repeating the same message. Two questions: What do you mean by LED lights? What does it mean when the printer touch panel says "see your documentation?"
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

And are you 100% sure there is no paper jam left in it ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I am sure there is no paper jam. I had the neighborhood computer student ( college level) recheck everything for me.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Please remove all cartridges. Using a moist cloth clean the golden contacts on cartridge as well as printer. DO NOT touch nozzle of cartridge. Dont insert the cartridge yet.

Please do this :
1. Remove the power cable from printer. Remove the USB cable that connects printer to computer (remove it from printer as well as computer's usb port)
2. Press the printer power button and keep pressed for 3 minutes then release
3. Now plug in the power cable and usb cable (connect printer to computer) and power on the printer.

Then plug in cartridges.

Now see if its working fine. Let me know !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will continue to help even after you click Accept.

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope! Nothing has changed; it's still blinking at me. Do you think a baseball bat would help? Waiting for your help before implementing the baseball bat.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

If this didnt work than your printer has hardware issues. Dont use baseball bat on a faithful printer :-) ... Everyone needs rest !!

This problem can happen because of following reasons :
1. There is some piece of paper / paper clip / sticker stuck inside printer and you are not able to access it. In this case you need to remove all ink cartridges, turn off printer, then turn it upside down and shake it few times. If still not working then you need to open it up as much you can to see if something is stuck

2. The electric sensor which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam has issues. Either there is dust on it or its gone bad and needs replacement. You should first open up the printer and blow air in it (using compressed air can) to remove all dust. If it doesnt work then this repair will cost you much more than buying a new Printer. If its in warranty certainly call Epson.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I blew it out, etc. It is still blinking at me diabolically.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

In that case this looks like a hardware failure. You can take it to local repair shop if its not in warranty. But as per experience it will not be cost effective.

New HP Officejet all in one printers come for about $100.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When you open the printer to put in something to be copied and look through the scanner glass, there appears to be a white strip of plastic about 1/2 inch wide with metallic strip on the back side that is kind of like overlapped on itself. The one end that is folded over like a triangle has a thin blue strip on the end of it. It just doesn't look right nor does it seem to have looked like this before. Is this a problem or just normal? Or am I just going nuts?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

I suppose you are looking at the scan bulb. Though I cannot see your printer from here, but I dont think the problem lies there.

And, even if problem lies there, the scan assembly will be too costly to replace.

Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO