Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

my hp 6310 all-in-one officejet printer keeps saying reset

Customer Question

my hp 6310 all-in-one officejet printer keeps saying "reset Power."", and blinking. I have tried unpluging and plug everything that is on the back of the printer, even took out the cartridges,but can't get the printer to do anything, but blink. Can you help me? My computer is a Dell laptop that has been connected to this printer for a year or two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

- How and when did this problem begun. Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge.

- When did you buy it and since when are you facing this issue.How often do you use printer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Andy! I'm not very sure anyone can help me, I guess I'm not a beleiver! I've had other printers that just for no reason (like this printer) would get weird. No, I didn't load paper or a new cartridge or a paper jam. I've had this printer for 2 or 3 years
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

This error is a hardware error and basically does not point to any 1 thing. It can happen if some sensor has gone bad, some gear is worned out and affecting the mechanism, ink system failure or something jammed. We can try few things before giving up on it.

Please do this and let me know.

Step one: Remove any loose paper
Remove any loose paper from the input tray.
CAUTION: Do not remove jammed paper at this stage.
Step two: Clear the jam from the All-in-One
Follow these steps to clear the paper jam from the automatic document feeder (ADF), and then clear the jam from the back of the product.
CAUTION: Clearing a paper jam from the front of the product can damage the print mechanism. Gain access to and clear paper jams through the rear door whenever possible.
Clear the jam from the automatic document feeder (ADF)
  1. Lift the cover of the automatic document feeder (ADF).
    Figure 1: Lift the ADF cover
  2. Gently pull the paper out of the rollers.
    CAUTION: If the paper tears while removing it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the product, more paper jams are likely to occur.
  3. If there is no paper in the rollers, lift the ADF mechanism.
    Figure 2: Lift ADF mechanism
  4. Check for jammed paper in the ADF mechanism.
    Figure 3: Check for jammed paper inside ADF
  5. Gently lower the ADF mechanism.
  6. Close the cover of the ADF.
Clear the jam from the back of the All-in-One
  1. Remove the rear door. Press in the tab on the left side of the door to release it, and then pull the door away from the product to remove it.
    Figure 4: Remove the rear door
  3. Replace the rear door. Gently push the door forward until it snaps into place.
  4. Press OK to continue the current job.
    NOTE: The print job might cancel instead of print. If this happens, reprint the document.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , there is no need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists , see the next step.
Step three: Clean the rollers
Follow these steps to clean the rollers to remove debris or paper.
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
  3. Remove the rear door. Press in the tab on the left side of the rear door, and then pull it away from the product.
    Figure 5: Remove the rear door
  4. Lightly moisten a clean, lint-free cloth with distilled or bottled water and then gently wipe the paper rollers.
    Rotate the rollers with your fingers while cleaning, to clean all the way around the rollers.
    Figure 6: Clean the paper rollers
  5. Allow the rollers to dry completely.
  6. Replace the rear door. Gently push the door toward the product until it snaps into place.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
  8. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.

Let me know result.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this helped, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work.

I will continue to help even after you click Accept.

If it did not help, please let me know instead of leaving a Negative Feedback.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Well, thank you Andy for your help even though it didn't work! I think this printer needs to be retired. This printer has not had a paper jam in months.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Thank you for accepting my answer.

This problem can happen because of following reasons :
1. There is some piece of paper / paper clip / sticker stuck inside printer and you are not able to access it. In this case you need to turn off printer, lift it and and shake it few times. If its too bulky you may nee help. If still not working then you need to open it up as much you can to see if something is stuck.

2. The electric sensor which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam has issues. Either there is dust on it or its gone bad and needs replacement. You should first open up the printer and blow air in it (using compressed air can) to remove all dust. If it doesnt work then this repair will cost you much more than buying a new Printer.