Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My HP 5180 All-in-one printer photo paper tray will not fully

Customer Question

My HP 5180 All-in-one printer photo paper tray will not fully close, sticks sbout 1/2" from fully closing. Are there any home disassembly instructions? Its totally worthless as is and I suspect even if you could find someone to work on it, the cost would not be justified.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Please try this and let me know results.

Load full-size paper
  1. Pull out the Input tray, then slide the paper-width and paper-length guides to their outermost positions.
    Figure 1: Positioning the Input tray and guides
  2. Tap a stack of paper on a flat surface to align the edges, and then check the paper for the following:
    • Make sure the paper is free of rips, dust, wrinkles, and curled or bent edges.
    • Make sure all the paper in the stack is the same size and type.
  3. Insert the stack of paper into the paper tray with the short edge forward and the print side down. Slide the stack of paper forward until it stops.
    Figure 2: Inserting paper into tray
    NOTE: If you are using letterhead, insert the top of the page first with the print side down. For more help on loading full-size paper and letterhead, refer to the diagram engraved in the base of the Input tray.
  4. Slide the paper-width and paper-length guides inward until they stop at the edge of the paper.
    NOTE: Do not overload the paper tray; make sure the stack of paper fits within the paper tray and is no higher than the top of the paper-width guide.
    Figure 3: Moving paper-width guides inward
  5. Push the Input tray back into the HP All-in-One.
  6. Pull the Output tray extender toward you, as far as it will go.
  7. Flip the paper catch at the end of the output tray extender to open the extender the rest of the way.
    NOTE: When using legal-size paper, leave the tray extender closed.

Load 10 x 15 cm (4 x 6 inch) paper
  1. Raise the output tray, then pull out the photo tray.
    Figure 1: Pulling out the photo tray
  2. Insert the stack of photo paper into the photo tray with the short edge forward and the print side down. Slide the stack of photo paper forward until it stops. If the photo paper you are using has perforated tabs, load the photo paper so that the tabs are closest to you.
  3. Slide the paper-width and paper-length guides inward against the stack of photo paper until they stop.
    NOTE: Do not overload the photo tray; make sure the stack of photo paper fits within the photo tray and is no higher than the top of the paper-width guide.
  4. Push in the photo tray and then lower the output tray.
    Figure 2: Pushing in the photo tray

[source:hp]

Let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done the above, several attempts. Printer display shows "Phototray Problem" says "Lift output tray up verify the photo tray is pushed in until it stops, lower the out put tray". I have done this several times. The printer goes through the warm up cycle and during that pushes the photo tray out from its closed position so that it is sticking out about 1/2" from where it normally should be, and then gives the photo tray error message above..
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Are you sure there is no paper jam in the printer ?

How and when did this problem begun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No paper jam can be seen either from the top lid or with the back panel removed. no carriage obstruction I can see. The problem started Friday am during a photo printing session. Loaded paper to continue a print job and it started when the phototray would not fully close. When it is going through the warmup, it sounds like some gears are\not messing properly.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi !!

Please do this and let me know

Solution : Clear the paper jam from the back of the product
Follow these steps to clear a carriage jam from the paper path.
CAUTION: Trying to clear a paper jam from the front of the product can damage the print mechanism. Always access and clear paper jams from the rear of the product before attempting to remove it from the front.
NOTE: Your product might not look exactly like the photos shown below.
  1. Turn off the product.
  2. Press in the tab(s) on the rear door to release the door.
  3. Remove the door by pulling it away from the product.
    Figure 1: Remove the rear door
    Press the tab on the rear door and pull the door away from the product.
  4. Gently pull the paper out of the rollers.
    CAUTION: If the paper tears, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If you do not remove all the pieces of paper from the product, more paper jams are likely to occur.
  5. Remove any paper from the top zone of the paper path.
    Figure 2: Paper path top zone
    Photo showing the top zone of the paper path.
  6. Replace the rear door.
  7. Gently push the door forward until it snaps into place.
  8. Turn on the product, and then press OK to continue the current job.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists , continue to the next solution.
Solution Clear the paper jam from the front of the product
The carriage might be stuck on the right side, the left side, or in the middle of the printer. The carriage is the device that contains the printhead and moves left to right during printing.
NOTE: Normally when the cartridge door opens, the carriage rests and locks in the service station all the way to the right. Paper jammed in the service station area could cause the carriage to feel locked in place.
Figure 3: Carriage assembly
Photo showing the top view of the carriage assembly
Use the following instructions to clear the printer of any jammed paper and reset the product:
Step one: Turn the product on and disconnect the power cord and USB cable
  1. Turn the product on, and then disconnect the power cord and the USB or Ethernet cable from the back of the printer. Do not reconnect them until instructed to later.
    CAUTION: Make sure the product is on before disconnecting the power cord. Failure to disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product can cause damage when removing jammed paper.
  2. Open the cartridge door.
    Figure 4: Open the cartridge door
    Lift the cartridge door to open it.
    CAUTION: The carriage is properly seated in the printer when it rests all the way to the right side and is locked into position. Do not mistake a locked carriage for a stuck carriage.
Step two: Remove jammed paper
  1. Note where the carriage is stuck and look for jammed paper. You might need a flashlight to illuminate areas for proper viewing. A paper jam causes error messages and carriage stalls. Some paper might jam in different locations than those shown in the photos.
  2. Check for any paper or object that might be restricting the carriage.
    NOTE: A paper jam causes error messages and carriage stalls.
    If the carriage is stuck on the right side, follow these steps.
    1. Move the carriage all the way to the left side.
    2. Check the paper path and remove any paper still in the product.
      Figure 5: Paper jam on the right side
      Paper jammed inside the product on the right side.
      Figure 6: Paper jam on the right side
      Figure 7: Paper jam on the right side in the Service Station area
      Paper jammed inside the Service Station area
    If the carriage is stuck on the left side, follow these steps:
    1. Move the carriage to the right side.
      Figure 8: Paper jam on the left side
      Paper jammed inside the product on the left side.
      Figure 9: Paper jam on the left side
    If the carriage is stuck in the middle, follow these steps:
    1. Check the paper path and remove any paper still in the product.
    2. Move the carriage to the right side.
    3. Check the paper path and remove any paper still in the product.
  3. Make sure that the carriage moves freely by gently pushing the carriage to the left and then to the right.
  4. Close the cartridge door.
  5. Reconnect the power cord and the USB cable.

Let me know

Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Carriage is resting to the right. Travels full length smoothly without catching. careful exam shows no paper/obstruction. The rollers at the back panel are turning freely. BUT Bad sounding gear noise during warmup, shut down. Can plastic gears grind? (Humor there, what little I have right now.) If you push on the photo tray during the warmup sequence, it will grab and advance in as if if were going to print photos but on return it comes back out too far, (1/2")
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Looks like there is some mechanical issue. If you can pull out all trays and then using a flashlight if you can find something blocking the levers / gears ... maybe we can find a solution. Seems as if something is not aligned.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Andy. Definitely a mechanical issue. I tipped the printer with the back panel off and out came a small piece of blue plastic the same color as the photo tray. Unless there is some way to disassemble and replace the photo tray, I think I'm the proud owner of a large, mostly plastic paperweight.....
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Unfortunately HP doesnt provide any detailed instructions on how to disemble the printer. And there are 1000s of models of printers and so there is no generic way to open up the printer. So, I am sorry but you will have use your best judgement here. But as its already a paperweight I think you can risk that.