mhasan420
mhasan420, Master's Degree
Experience:  BA Maths, Oxford

Determine whether the given function is linear or nonlinear.

Customer Question

Determine whether the given function is linear or nonlinear. If it is linear determine the slope.
x y=f(x)

1 4
2 6
3 8
4 10
5 12

Determine the slope.

Could you write down how you got the answer step by step, thanks.
Category: Pre-Calculus
Expert:  mhasan420 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!

There are several ways to approach this problem. One simple way is to observe that when x increases by 1, f(x) always increases by 2. Since f(x) always increases by 2 when x increases by 1, it can be written in the form y = mx + c and is hence a linear function.

The slope will be the value that f(x) increases by when x increases by 1. As observed above, this is 2. Hence, the slope is 2.

Let me know if you require further clarification. If not, please click 'Accept'. Thanks! :)
mhasan420, Master's Degree
Experience: BA Maths, Oxford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
x y=f(x)

1 -6
2 0
3 3
4 4
5 1

Is the function a linear function?
Determine the slope.

Expert:  mhasan420 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!

Let us look at what happens when the x value increases. As x goes from 1 to 2, the y value increases by 6. As x goes from 2 to 3, the y value increases by 3. We do not need to go further. Since the value of y increases by different values when increase the x value by 1, the function is definitely not linear.

mhasan420, Master's Degree
Experience: BA Maths, Oxford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For the linear function f(x)=3x+6,
(a) Determine the slope and y-intercept
(b) Use the slope and y-intercept to graph the linear function.
(c) Determine the average rate of change of the function.
(d) Determine whether the linear function is increasing, decreasing, or constant.

The slop is___?
Expert:  mhasan420 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!

a)

The slope is the coefficient of x and the y-intercept is the constant term in the function. Hence,

Slope = 3, y-intercept = 6

b)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

c)

The rate of change will be equal to the slope which is 3.

d)

As the values of x increase, the value of f(x) always increases. Hence, it is an increasing function.

Hope this helps. If so, please click 'Accept'. Thanks! :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am having trouble with graphing number 1. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

1. Given the quadratic equation y = -12x^2 - 2x - 2 find:

a. Vertex (h, k).

A = -12, b = -2, c = -2

H = -b/2a = -(-2)/2(-12) = 2/-24 = -1/12

K = f(h) = -12(-1/12)^2 - 2(-1/12) - 2 = -12(1/144) + 1/6 - 2 = -1/12 + 2/12 - 24/12 = -23/12

Vertex (h, k) = (-1/12, -23/12)

b. axis of symmetry (x = h); is -1/12

c. intercepts. Y-intercept = (0, f(0)) y- intercept is (0, -2)

f(0) = -12(0)^2 - 2(0) - 2 = 0 - 0 - 2 = -2

There are NO x-intercepts

X = [-b +/- sqrt (b^2 - 4ac)]/2a = [-(-2) +/- sqrt (-2^2 - (4)(-12)(-2)]/2(-12)= [2+/- sqrt (4-96)]/-24

= (2+/- sqrt -92)/24 = (2+/- 2i*sqrt 23)/-24

d. domain all real numbers

e. range (-¥, -23/12]

f. interval where graph is increasing. (-¥, -1/12)

g. interval where graph is decreasing (-1/12, ¥)

h. graph

Expert:  mhasan420 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!

Do you just need help with the graphing?

The way you should graph is that the first thing you should do is to mark the x and y intercepts and the vertex. If possible, draw a dotted line through the axis of symmetry and then draw an inverted parabola through those 3 points. It should look like this:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Hope this helps. It would be great if you could 'Accept' this and my previous answer. Thank you. :)