Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I just bought a 2004 996 and am reading about this IMS

Customer Question

I just bought a 2004 996 and am reading about this IMS nightmare and am wondering if my car had the IMS replaced already or if it is something I need to worry about? My car has 75,000 and is it true that with that many miles, it should be fine? The Carfax reveals that at 15,000 miles, the dealer replaced the clutch, the front crankshaft oil seal, and event he transmission. Maybe the IMS was replaced then as well?
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: It is not slipping. Carfax records only show clutch was replaced at 15K miles. It seems to have bee dealer maintained. Plugs replaced at 70K, brake fluid replaced at 62K etc.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Porsche?
Customer: 996
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything so far and I would not be doing the work myself. Car seems to be running great. I was wondering if there is a way to know if I need to worry or not?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that is all.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Eric replied 14 days ago.

Normally the IMS bearing is replaced when the clutch is replaced as a preventative measure. The only way to know for sure is to get the repair invoice for when the clutch was replaced to see if the bearing is listed under the parts list.

Based upon it having 75K miles on it, I would say it has been replaced, but again, I cannot guarantee it.

I will say that even if it has been replaced, it is still subject to fail again. I advise to have the oil changed every 5000 miles and make sure to use 5w40 viscosity motor oils, preferably one that carries an API SJ-SL rating, unless in a severe weather climate, then use 0w40.

And go ahead and have it replaced every time the clutch needs replacing. This will prevent unexpected catastrophic ims bearing failure which can destroy the engine.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Expert:  Eric replied 13 days ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 11 days ago.

At this time, unless you have a related followup question on this at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.