Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Porsche mechanic.
20625509

I have 2002 porsche carrera 911. I did not use it for almost

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have 2002 porsche carrera 911. I did not use it for almost three months. When I tryed to start it it did not start. cranking but did not start.. can you help please
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: the fuel supply is ok. but did not check the spark pug. how can I do that
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2002 carrera 911
JA: Are you fixing your Carrera yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am trying because the dealer will cost me a leg. I thought the DME is faulty but I cannot locat it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thank you
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is possible to attach some video clip to help fixing the problem?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

How do you know the fuel supply is ok?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry may I misunderstood the question. I thought the amount of fuel in the car.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, let me ask this then. When you first turn the key to run, can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't pay attention to that as I wa focusing on the cranking
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

can you listen now or are you nowhere near the car?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I am far away from the car now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appreciate any step I should do tomorrow
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could you please tell me the location of the fuel pump
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

The fuel pump is inside the fuel tank.

If the fuel pump doesn't run, check the fuse, so take a 30a fuse with you and the fuse is located in the fuse holder C behind the left kick panel.

If the fuse is ok, but the fuel pump still don't run and there are no security or check engine lights remaining on or flashing after turning the key on, then try a new fuel pump relay. If the fuel pump does, run, check the fuse/s for the fuel injectors and the ignition coils.

They are in this diagram, but they are the same fuse, the fuse C2 in that fuse holder C, and there is also a relay.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You said "the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank" . !!!!!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Yes, the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank but the relay and fuse is not.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will check tomorrow if any sound is heard when I turn the key on otherwise I will follow the other steps you suggested. Thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think the fuel pump is ok because when I turn the key I can hear some sound coming from the driver side . I checked all the 30 a fuses and they seemed ok. The problem still exists. So what to next?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

I would see if the engine will start up for a few seconds after spraying a few small shots of starting fluid into the throttle body. If it does, the ignition is fine, if not, then check the fuses for the ignition and check for a spark from the end of a spark plug wire. I like to use a new spark plug, open the gap up real wide like 0.075" so you can see it, attach a ground wire to it with a mini hose clamp and alligator clip, then remove a spark plug wire, plug this into the end of the spark plug wire then ground the alligator clip, and while cranking the engine over look for a spark.

Here is what my test plug looks like,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Any news?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi . Yes I tried spraying small shots of starting fluid and the engine started running for a few seconds. So please tell me what to do next? Which fuses should I check?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

If it started and ran for a few seconds with starting fluid, then the ignition is fine, so it's probably the fuel system and if you say the fuel pump does run, then most likely the fuel injectors are not working. Since the fuel injectors are fed from the same fuse as the ignition coils, it must be that the injectors are not pulsing. Check the fuse for the engine control unit. They would be the fuse C1 in the fuse holder C.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi I already sent you a photo of the fuse box of my car. Can you please mark which fuse I should check.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

I marked it,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry still did not run
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The fuse. C1 is ok
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

From this point on you will need a noid light in order to check for a fuel injector pulse while cranking. If you don't have one, let's just assume there is no injector pulse then. Then you would need a scan tool in order to retrieve trouble codes to see if maybe the ECU isn't receiving a signal from a sensor before condemning the ECU itself.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi wil the ODBII do the job?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

It may retrieve any codes, try it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Due to the time difference I will try this tomorrow and I will send the results. Thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Any codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check today
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried to start the car and it ran for two seconds and stopped. Then I used the ODBII which showed no faults
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

It sounds like a security issue. Does the security or anti-theft light/message stay on or flash past bulb check, after about 10 seconds after the key is turned on?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a spare key you could try?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try to get the spare key tomorrow.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Are all of those still lit up after 10 seconds?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They will stay on as long as the key is turned on and the engine not running.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Did a spare key help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi. I tried the spare key but still cranking without starting. I don't have a noid light. Is there anything else I Should try?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi I am waiting for your answer please
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am still waiting for your reply. Thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, I was offline. But I think you should go back and confirm the fuel pump does run by removing the gas cap and putting your ear up to the gas tank gas cap hole and have someone else turn the key to run and listen if the fuel pump runs.