Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Battery hot. Key will not go in the switch, Battery ok. even

Customer Question

Battery hot . Key will not go in the switch
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Battery ok. even hooked up a charger. kew went in earlier and car wouldnt start. I removed the key, disconnected the battery. hooked battery back up and key still only go in ignition about 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
JA: What is the model/year of your Porsche?
Customer: 2007 Caymen. 35K miles.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: basically what I have told so far except read a blog that ignition switch might be in the Off position. Inserted a GMC key nd switch rotated fine from off, to, on, to start. Removed the GMC key and tried the Porsche key. Same problem.Key will not go ignition. Also rotated steering wheel. it is in the locked position.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's ot
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to a mechanical issue with the key itself being inserted with the key needing replaced or a fault with the ignition cylinder as the tumblers can come apart in the cylinder and cause this as well.If you were able to insert another key and get it to operate but your key will not then I suspect your key is the fault.In most cases though it is the ignition cylinder itself that fails causing this issue needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete