sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 1999 boxster with 120,000 miles that has developed

Customer Question

I have a 1999 boxster with 120,000 miles that has developed a intermit knocking which sounds has if it's coming from the rear of the car. It's most noticeable when idling but that may be just a function of less overall noise when at idle? I have a recording I can forward.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hi im kevin can i have recording ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kevin,I would love to send the recording but I'll need eithe a email address to send it or a cell number, I can't paste the recording in this format.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Ok thats a tricky and only occurrs at idle

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, I think it's just harder to hear due to additional ambient noise.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Ok il opt out see if another tech has any ideas i also cannot reformat file to list so youll have to send to next tech

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, thanks
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the noise only happens at idle it could be coming from within the engine itself, it could be an engine driven accessory, or vibration from the engine running could be causing a component such as a heat shield, line, etc to rattle against another component.

Are you able to use the paperclip icon in the toolbar to upload the recording here?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can only hear it at idle but not sure that means it only occurs at idle, there may just be too much road noise to hear it. I can't use the paper clip but if you give me an email I can send recordinding that way.

I'm not able to give personal contact information. Can you upload it to Youtube, Souncloud or another file sharing site and give the link?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4MuQ6tHM6_gTG56aVdNb3VmTDQI hope this worksJohn

It's the random, harder tapping noise, correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's very irregular. Just for more info I just added a photo of underneath the rear end, you should be able to see where part of the shroud is torn away but I think this occurred long ago before I owned it, so I'm not sure it's relevant
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here are a couple of different angles

Does it make a difference if the a/c is turned on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure I'll have to get back to you on that

Ok.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It doesn't seam to make any difference if the or conditioner is on. Do you think I should be concerned about driving it?

It's possible that driving it could cause damage.

Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope to try and trace the source of the noise?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No but I was thinking of buying one

If you can't visually see any issues then a stethoscope would normally be used to try and determine the source. A stethoscope can be used to listen to different locations on the engine, accessories, etc to try and determine where the noise is coming from. It sounds like it may be coming from inside the engine, if it's a manual trans then the issue could be clutch or flywheel related also.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Clutch was replaced about 10,000 miles ago. I'll try getting a stethoscopeThanks

You're welcome!