Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I had my car serviced last week. Clean bill of health. Only

Customer Question

I had my car serviced last week. Clean bill of health. Only 20,000 miles, despite it being a 2006 911 Carrera 4s.
I left my car with the garage attendant. It was I left my car with the garage attendant. It was writing perfectly that day. They move my car to temporary spot and ventured to park it in its permanent spot that evening. The car would not move.
The car starts fine. I put it in first gear and begin to let off the clutch to move. I feel the gear starting to grip, but then it just gives out.
Can you tell me what you think this is? And how this could've happened?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hi im kevin is there any noise with this ? Does car go into all the gears smoothly with engine running ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Feel free to call me if easier. (###) ###-####Car turns on fine. Sounds fine. No noise. I apply clutch. Put it in 1st. No issue at all. I begin to let off the clutch, all normal. It starts gripping and advancing forward an inch or so. I feel it giving out and I stop. Garage attendant could not get it to move, which prompted me to go down and try myself.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok to be totally honest it sounds like clutch has failed .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Only 20k miles. Baby the car. Working fine all day. No issues at all. And then just bam. Stops?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like centre plate has broken dropping the drive to the gearbox .this normally happens if clutch is dropped heavily

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not drop heavily at all. What would need replacing? How much does it cost?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If it broke would I know in the moment? Said another way, given that it was working. Garage attendant moved it fine. And then could not move it a second time--would this be something I did or that they did?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Not suggesting you mabye some of the other people who have driven ? Notmally you would be aware this happened It will need a clutch replacement average is around $ 1500

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could some one break it moving within a garage 10-15 feet?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

If they did they would have known they had caused it this does not mean that someone else hasnt driven badly and weakened clutch just failed later on

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the centre plate within the clutch mechanism? Or is it a separate part that needs replacing?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

With the amount of components that have to be removed to access clutch you replace entire clutch kit .it is sold as a kit

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

please rate my service